Social housing administration
The City of Hamilton is responsible for delivering funding, planning and administering government assisted housing programs and services for Hamilton residents. We work to ensure legislative requirements are met under the Housing Services Act, 2011 and that local rules meet the needs of social housing providers as well as applicants, tenants/ members of social housing communities in Hamilton.
Types of social housing
Social Housing refers to rental housing developed with the assistance of government and subsidized by Municipal and Federal government for individuals, families and seniors with low to moderate incomes, or people with special needs who can live with support in the community.
Non-Profit housing providers
Private non-profit housing is developed and operated by organizations such as community or church groups that are dedicated to the task of providing affordable rental housing. Financial assistance is provided by the federal and provincial government. These developments have a mix of market and rent geared-to-income units.
Co-operative housing providers
Co-operative housing is managed by its residents who are referred to as members. Co-op members are expected to participate in their community by becoming a member of the Board of Directors, committees or participation in the maintenance of the property. Co-operative members (tenants) are expected to participate in the operation of their community.
Rent supplement housing
Rent-Geared-to-Income applicants may also apply for RGI subsidies under the rent supplement program. Applicants must be eligible to be on the Access to Housing centralize waiting list. Subsidies are paid directly to the landlord and tenants enter into a lease with the landlord.
Resources for Community Housing Providers
Housing Provider Policies and Procedures
- June 21, 2017 - Absence from Unity Policy (PDF, 89 KB)
- December 2017 - Acronyms and Terms Glossary (PDF, 176 KB)
- January 15, 2018 - Addition of New Household Member Policy and Request Form (PDF, 460 KB)
- November 7, 2016 - Basic Eligibility Requirements for Rent-Geared-to-Income Assistance (PDF, 174 KB)
- August 10, 2016 - Capital Funding – Proportional Allocations Policy (PDF, 84 KB)
- June 21, 2017 - Conflict of Interest Policy (PDF, 102 KB)
- July 6, 2019 - Development Charges Information – Summary of by-Laws 19-42 &11-174 (PDF, 778 KB)
- January 15, 2018 - Divestment of Residential Property Policy and Divestment of Residential Property Form (PDF, 165 KB)
- November 7, 2016 - Document Standards Policy (PDF, 296 KB)
- November 11, 2014 - Eviction Prevention Policy (PDF, 78 KB)
- January 15, 2018 - Training and Board of Directors Succession Planning Policy (PDF, 45 KB)
- March 12, 2018 - Income and Assets Limits Policy (PDF, 37 KB)
- January 16, 2020 - Internal Transfer Policy (PDF, 89 KB)
- June 21, 2017 - Leases and Occupancy Agreements Policy (PDF, 47 KB)
- January 15, 2018 - Market to RGI In-Situ and ATH Market to RGI Verification Form (PDF, 204 KB)
- June 21, 2016 - Minimum Number of Housing Provider Board Meetings and Remuneration of Board Directors Policy (PDF, 48 KB)
- June 21, 2017 - Occupancy Standards Policy (PDF, 112 KB)
- November 7, 2016 - Offers and Refusals Policy (PDF, 318 KB)
- June 21, 2017 - Property Management Procurement and Contracts for Housing Providers Policy (PDF, 100 KB)
- September 11, 2019 - Pursuit of Income Policy (PDF, 373 KB)
- June 16, 2017 - Rent Deferral and Forgiveness Policy (PDF, 78 KB)
- September 11, 2019 - Reporting Serious Incidents Policy (PDF, 175 KB)
- March 12, 2018 - RGI to Market Rent - 12 Months Rule (PDF, 43 KB)
- June 18, 2019 - Service Manager Consent Policy and Procedure (PDF, 646 KB) | Appendix ‘A’ Business Case format (PDF, 81 KB)
- November 11, 2014 - Social Housing (capital) Reserve Fund (PDF, 50 KB)
- November 11, 2014 - Social Housing Review Policy (PDF, 123 KB)
- June 21, 2017 - Visitor and Guest Policy (PDF, 51 KB)
City of Hamilton Communiques for Housing Providers
The City of Hamilton issues Communiques to Housing Providers about policies, program information and announcements. For archived Communiques, please contact [email protected].
- March 26, 2020 - Issue 1 COVID-19 Update (PDF, 132 KB)
- December 4, 2019 - Issue 9, Community Safety, Single Offer of RGI Assistance, and RGI Simplification (PDF, 416 KB)
- October 11, 2019 - Issue 8, End of Operating Agreement and End of Mortgage Information (PDF, 334 KB)
- September 9, 2019 - Issue 7, COCHI Repair Stream Call for Applications (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- July 17, 2019 - Issue 6, 2020 Indices and Cost Factors (PDF, 794 KB)
- June 28, 2019 - Issue 5, 2019 Service Manager Consent Policy and Procedures (PDF, KB)
- June 28, 2019 - Issue 4, 2020 – Rent Increases (PDF, 25 KB)
- May 6, 2019 - Issue 3, Staff Update – New Manager – Social Housing (PDF, 25 KB)
- May 1, 2019 - Issue 2, 2019 Municipal Capital Grant Funding Program (PDF, 101 KB)
- January 28, 2019 - Issue 1, 2019 Poverty Reduction Fund Year 2 – Call for Applications (PDF, 76 KB)
- August 7, 2018 - Issue 9, 2018 Indices and Cost Factors (PDF, 30 KB)
- July 10, 2018 - Issue 8, SHAIP Cancellation - Year 2 - 4 (PDF, 25 KB)
- May 14, 2018 - Issue 7, Ontario Basic Income Pilot - RGI eligibility (PDF, 168 KB)
- April 5, 2018 - Issue 6, 2018 Poverty Reduction Fund Year 1 - Call for Applications (PDF, 331 KB)
- March 28, 2018 - Issue 5, Access to Housing - Update (PDF, 61 KB)
- March 2, 2018 - Issue 4, Free Bed Bug Workshop - March 15, 2018 (PDF, 25 KB)
- February 15, 2018 - Issue 3, Transition of Access to Housing from Del Management Solutions to the City of Hamilton (PDF, 25 KB)
- February 6, 2018 - Issue 2, Ontario’s Long-Term Affordable Housing Update - Webinar and Consultations - Halton (PDF, 41 KB)
- March 22, 2018 - Issue 1, Local Policies Release (PDF, 729 KB)
Social housing providers
Review the social housing providers list
- 480 Stonechurch (Valeri)
- Ancaster Sr. Citizens Apts. Ltd.
- Ancaster Village Non-Profit Homes
- Andes Heritage Co-operative Inc.
- Artaban Non-Profit Homes Inc.
- Canadian Reformed Society For A Home For The Aged Inc.
- CityHousing Hamilton
- Corktown Co-operative Homes Inc.
- Coronation Park Housing Company Limited
- Dundas Valley Non Profit Housing Corporation
- Eaton Place (Flamborough) Inc.
- Ebony Group Community Homes of Hamilton
- First Place
- Free Reformed Senior Citizens Home Inc.
- Good Shepherd Loretta Site (Square)
- Good Shepherd Non-Profit Homes Inc.
- Halam Park Housing Co-operative Inc.
- Hamilton & District Senior Citizens' Homes "Rambynas" Incorporated
- Hamilton Baptist Non-Profit Homes Corporation
- Hamilton East Kiwanis Non-Profit Homes Inc./Local 1005
- Hamilton Housing Company Ltd.
- Hamilton Housing Corporation
- Hamilton Jewish Home For The Aged
- Hamilton Portuguese Community Homes Inc.
- Hamilton Senior Citizens Apartments Ltd.
- Hellenic 1 & 2
- Heritage Green Senior Centre
- Homestead Christian Care
- Housing Our People Economically (Hope Hamilton) Inc.
- Howell Non-Profit Homes Inc.
- ITCA Community Involvement Inc.
- Lions Freelton Villa Non-Profit Housing
- Liuna (Hamilton) Association
- Local 1005 Community Homes Inc.
- Los Andes of Hamilton Co-operative Inc.
- McGivney Community Homes Inc.
- McMaster Community Homes Corporation
- Meridian Co-operative Homes Inc.
- Municipal Non Profit (Hamilton) Housing Corporation
- Parc Centraÿ 450 Cumberland
- Queenston Road
- Royal Vista
- Ryerson Ancaster Homes Inc.
- Sacajawea Non-Profit Housing Inc.
- Slovenian Society of St. Joseph Hamilton
- Sons of Italy (Hamilton) Housing Corporation
- Southern Lights Co-operative Homes Inc.
- St. Elizabeth
- St. Matthew's House
- St. Thomas Lofts
- Stoneworth Co-operative Homes Inc.
- Stoney Creek Non-Profit Housing Corporation
- Tabby Town Urban Housing Co-operative Corporation
- Taras Shevchenko Home For The Aged
- Tarns Shevchenko Home For The Aged
- Terraces on King
- The Ukrainian Villa of the Resurrection Church in Hamilton
- Township of Glanbrook Non-Profit Housing Corp.
- U.N.H. Incorporated
- Victoria Park Community Homes Inc.
- Waterdown Rotary Garden Court Inc.
- Wesley Community Homes Inc.
- West Avenue School 1 & 2
- Women's Community Co-operative inc.
905.546.2424 ext. 1782
General Social Housing Inquiries
905.546.2424. ext. 3753
Housing Administration Officer
Kamba Ankunda ext. 4557
George Gambioli ext. 4840
Godfred Okyere-Koranteng ext.7373
Senior Housing Administration Officer
Kim Ryan ext. 6285
Senior Project Managers
Tammy Morasse ext. 3727
Joshua Van Kampen ext. 4592
- Date modified: