Social housing administration
The City of Hamilton is responsible for delivering funding, planning and administering government assisted housing programs and services for Hamilton residents. We work to ensure legislative requirements are met under the Housing Services Act, 2011 and that local rules meet the needs of social housing providers as well as applicants, tenants/ members of social housing communities in Hamilton.
Types of social housing
Social Housing refers to rental housing developed with the assistance of government and subsidized by Municipal and Federal government for individuals, families and seniors with low to moderate incomes, or people with special needs who can live with support in the community.
Non-Profit housing providers
Private non-profit housing is developed and operated by organizations such as community or church groups that are dedicated to the task of providing affordable rental housing. Financial assistance is provided by the federal and provincial government. These developments have a mix of market and rent geared-to-income units.
Co-operative housing providers
Co-operative housing is managed by its residents who are referred to as members. Co-op members are expected to participate in their community by becoming a member of the Board of Directors, committees or participation in the maintenance of the property. Co-operative members (tenants) are expected to participate in the operation of their community.
Rent supplement housing
Rent-Geared-to-Income applicants may also apply for RGI subsidies under the rent supplement program. Applicants must be eligible to be on the Access to Housing centralize waiting list. Subsidies are paid directly to the landlord and tenants enter into a lease with the landlord.
Additional resources for social housing providers
- For Local Housing Communiques (Bulletins) contact Housing Administration at 905-546-2424 ext. 3753
Coordinated Access Administrative Guide for the City of Hamilton (PDF, 411 KB)
This guide has been developed to assist Access to Housing and housing providers in performing and understanding the coordinated access requirements identified in the Social Housing Reform Act, related regulations, and newly established policies and procedures in the City of Hamilton.
Rent-Geared-To-Income Guide for Social Housing Providers (PDF, 384 KB)
This guide describes the administration of rent-geared-to-income (RGI) assistance for the Social Housing Administration Program administered by the City of Hamilton. It is for staff or directors of co-operative and non-profit housing providers. It is not for housing providers with federal operating agreements unless you have rent supplement programs.
905.546.2424 ext. 1782
General Social Housing Inquiries
905.546.2424. ext. 3753
Housing Administration Officer Contacts
George Gambioli ext. 4840
Kim Ryan ext. 6285
Angela Ramsey ext. 7373
Senior Policy Analyst
Tammy Morasse ext. 3727
Social housing providers
- Eaton Place (Flamborough) Inc.
- Hamilton Jewish Home For The Aged
- Howell Non-Profit Homes Inc.
- Hamilton Baptist Non-Profit Homes Corporation
- McGivney Community Homes Inc.
- St. Matthew's House
- The Ukrainian Villa of the Resurrection Church in Hamilton
- Wesley Community Homes Inc.
- Corktown Co-operative Homes Inc.
- Halam Park Housing Co-operative Inc.
- Los Andes of Hamilton Co-operative Inc.
- Tabby Town Urban Housing Co-operative Corporation
- Women's Community Co-operative inc.
- Hellenic 1 & 2
- Parc Centraÿ 450 Cumberland
- Royal Vista
- 480 Stonechurch (Valeri)
- Ancaster Village Non-Profit Homes
- Artaban Non-Profit Homes Inc.
- Ebony Group Community Homes of Hamilton
- Hamilton East Kiwanis Non-Profit Homes Inc./Local 1005
- ITCA Community Involvement Inc.
- Lions Freelton Villa Non-Profit Housing
- Liuna (Hamilton) Association
- Local 1005 Community Homes Inc.
- Slovenian Society of St. Joseph Hamilton
- Sons of Italy (Hamilton) Housing Corporation
- Taras Shevchenko Home For The Aged
- Victoria Park Community Homes Inc.
- Andes Heritage Co-operative Inc.
- Ryerson Ancaster Homes Inc.
- St. Elizabeth
- Tarns Shevchenko Home For The Aged
- Terraces on King
- West Avenue School 1 & 2
- Canadian Reformed Society For A Home For The Aged Inc.
- Free Reformed Senior Citizens Home Inc.
- Hamilton & District Senior Citizens' Homes "Rambynas" Incorporated
- Hamilton Senior Citizens Apartments Ltd.
- Heritage Green Senior Centre
- Sacajawea Non-Profit Housing Inc.
- Township of Glanbrook Non-Profit Housing Corp.
- Waterdown Rotary Garden Court Inc.
- McMaster Community Homes Corporation
- Stoney Creek Non-Profit Housing Corporation
- U.N.H. Incorporated
- Southern Lights Co-operative Homes Inc.
- Stoneworth Co-operative Homes Inc.
- Homestead Christian Care
- St. Thomas Lofts
- CityHousing Hamilton
- Ancaster Sr. Citizens Apts. Ltd.
- Coronation Park Housing Company Limited
- Dundas Valley Non Profit Housing Corporation
- First Place
- Hamilton Housing Company Ltd.
- Hamilton Housing Corporation
- Hamilton Portuguese Community Homes Inc.
- Housing Our People Economically (Hope Hamilton) Inc.
- Municipal Non Profit (Hamilton) Housing Corporation
- Good Shepherd Non-Profit Homes Inc.
- Meridian Co-operative Homes Inc.
- Good Shepherd Loretta Site (Square)
- Queenston Road
- Date modified: