The Tenant Defence Fund Pilot Program (TDFPP) is open to eligible groups of at least 4 tenant households whose landlord have applied to the Landlord Tenant Board for an Above Guideline Rent Increase (AGI). The TDFPP can provide resources and knowledge to help tenant groups defend the application at the Landlord Tenant Board.
The support can include securing meeting space, printing and photocopying documents relating to the grant application, and up to $1000 to hire a paralegal or lawyer Licensed with the Law Society of Ontario to help the tenants prepare for the case and represent them.
Eligibility & Requirements for the TDFPP:
- At least 20% of the units affected by the application must oppose the application (by signing a petition in the TDFPP application).
- Only one tenant group from any rental complex may receive funding (the first to apply)
- There must be at least four households in the tenant group
- Monthly rents for each unit participating in the case must be at or below the following (current rent before the AGI application is submitted by the landlord):
|Unit Size||Maximum Qualifying Pre-Application Rent|
|Three Bedroom or Larger||$1,334|
- At least 20% of the units affected by the AGI application must be currently rented at or below the qualifying monthly rent in the table above.
- Each affected household must sign a form stating that their current rent is at or below the amount in the table above
- The tenant group must choose one tenant representative as the primary representative for the group. The group must also name an alternative tenant representative in case the primary representative cannot complete their required tasks.
Program funding is limited.
If you have questions about the Tenant Defence Fund Pilot Program or would like to apply to the Program, please contact:
Janet Surmanski, Tenant Relations Officer
Phone 905-546-2424 ext. 3941
Email [email protected]
- Date modified: