Rights and Responsibilities as an Ontario Works client
The Ontario Works program strives to balance client needs with individual responsibility. Visit the Ministry of Community and Social Services website to learn more about your rights and responsibilities as an Ontario Works client.
Forms and Information for Ontario Works clients
The following information is for those who are receiving Ontario Works benefits.
General Forms for Ontario Works Clients
- Authorization to Pay Rent Directly to Landlord Fillable form (PDF, 174 KB)
- Landlord Information Request Fillable Form (PDF, 199 KB)
- Wage Verification Fillable Form (PDF, 213 KB)
- Housing Stability Benefit Request Form (PDF, 183 KB)
- Authorization for Direct Deposit/Direct Deposit Request English (PDF, 1 MB) French (PDF, 1 MB)
- Statement of Income (SOI) and Changes Report (PDF, 858 KB)
- Business Income and Expense Report (2729) Fillable (PDF, 1.78 MB)
- Instructions – Business Income and Expense Report (2793) (PDF, 567 KB)
- Overpayment Pre-Authorized Payment Plan Fillable form (PDF, 295 KB)
Are you using a mobile device? You will need to download a free mobile app and PDF viewer to complete the fillable forms. iOS users please use Chrome browser instead of Safari to download the file.
Youth Forms for Ontario Works Clients under 18
Information for Ontario Works clients
Interactive Voice Response (IVR) 1-800-808-2268
You will receive a 9-digit member ID and a 4-digit PIN number in two separate mailings. Both of these numbers are required to access your case file. This service is available:
Monday to Friday from 8 am to 9 pm
Saturday and Sunday from 12 noon to 5 pm
To Reset PIN: Press 1 – English instructions, Enter your 9 digit Member ID, Press 0 for the Help Desk and they will reset your PIN.
You can receive information about:
- Most recent cheque date and amount
- Previous cheque history (payments within the last 45 days)
- Current overpayment balance (if applicable)
- Case status (ongoing, suspended or terminated)
All Ontario Works monthly cheques and direct deposits will be dated and cashable for the last business day every month effective immediately. If any questions, please speak with your case manager.
Hamilton Ontario Works Monthly Payment Dates for 2021
|Benefit Month||Client and Pay Direct Payment Date||Additional Benefit Vendor Payment Date|
|January||December 31, 2020||January 18, 2021|
|February||January 29, 2021||February 16, 2021|
|March||February 26, 2021||March 17, 2021|
|April||March 31, 2021||April 19, 2021|
|May||April 30, 2021||May 17, 2021|
|June||May 31, 2021||June 16, 2021|
|July||June 30, 2021||July 19, 2021|
|August||July 30, 2021||August 18, 2021|
|September||August 31, 2021||September 17, 2021|
|October||September 30, 2021||October 18, 2021|
|November||October 29, 2021||November 17, 2021|
|December||November 30, 2021||TBD|
How to Complete a Statement of Income (SOI)
Do not complete and sign the SOI before the 16th of each month as all income must be declared from the 16th of the previous month to the 15th of the current month.
The SOI can be dropped off at the closest OW office or mailed to the office location indicated on the SOI.
If you have more than two members of your family that are working, either request an additional SOI form from reception or copy the one you receive in order to record all earnings of all family members.
If your Statement of Income is not received by the 16th of each month, or if it is not complete or correct, there may be a delay in your Ontario Works Financial Assistance.
Important: If you are not sure how to report your income, contact your Case Manager.
1. You are not required to submit a Statement of Income (SOI) if you have been advised by your Case Manager. This may occur if:
- You do not have any income or earnings to report
- Your income does not change on a monthly basis (Canada Pension Plan, Support payments that are the same each month, roomer or boarder income etc.)
2. You must continue, or start, to submit a Statement of Income (SOI) on the 16th of each month, if:
- You have a new source of income (attach your income stubs to your SOI)
- You have ongoing earnings and/or training allowances (attach your pay stubs to your SOI)
- You have casual earnings from employment (attach your pay stubs to your SOI)
- You have income that changes amounts on a monthly basis
Working while on Assistance
There are benefits available to help you pay for job start-up costs like new clothes, work boots, a haircut, tools and day care. If you have been receiving assistance for 3 months or longer, you can earn up to $200 each month without it affecting your assistance. Every dollar you earn over $200 will reduce your income support by $.50. For example - your monthly earnings is $350. You keep the first $200 without affecting your assistance. From the remaining $150, only $75 would be deducted from your income support. Speak to your Case Manager about this and other benefits that may be available to you.
Comments or Feedback on our Service
Providing excellent service is important to us. If you would like to provide comments or feedback on any of the services you have received, please send an email to [email protected] or call 905-546-2424 ext. 4156.
- Date modified: