The Special Supports Program provides a wide range of health related benefits to City residents living independently in the community to improve their quality of life, health, wellness, safety and self-sufficiency.
Health related benefits include but are not limited to:
- Bathroom assistive devices such as grab bars, commodes etc.
- Diabetic supplies
- Hearing aids and batteries
- Custom foot orthotics and orthopedic footwear
- Hospital bed and mattress
- Surgical, incontinent and ostomy supplies
- Wheelchair batteries and repairs
- Medical taxi transportation
- Eye glasses
- Adult day programs user fee
- Personal emergency response
- Other services and special items
Please note: Special Supports Program does not fund equipment, devices or services that have already been ordered or purchased. Do not order or purchase equipment prior to receiving funding approval.
Who can apply
- Ontario Works (OW) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) recipients
- Discuss your needs with your case manager. if you have any questions about the type of benefits that may be covered. A note from your doctor or registered health professional may be required. Request your benefits online at specialsupportsbenefits.hamilton.ca. See how to apply below.
- Low income families, individuals or seniors who:
- Are 18 years of age and older
- Are a City of Hamilton resident
- Do not receive Ontario Works (OW) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)
The following individuals are not eligible for Special Supports Funding:
- Sponsored immigrants
- Those who have refugee status and covered under other programs
- Those who are self-employed
- Those who reside in homes for special care, hospital or in a chronic or long-term care facilities
How to apply
Ontario Works (OW) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) recipients
OW / ODSP recipients who have an email address can request the needed items online at specialsupportsbenefits.hamilton.ca.
Applying online lets you check the status of your request and get updates quickly and easily.
OW / ODSP recipients who do not have an email can apply by phone at 905-546-2590 between the hours of 8:30 am and 4 pm, Monday to Friday.
Low income families or individuals
Complete the Request for Special Supports Benefits Funding application form (PDF, 1.52 MB) to determine eligibility which includes looking at the applicant's:
- A friend, family member or advocate working with the applicant may assist in the application process.
- Application must be signed and dated
Are you using a mobile device? You will need to download a free mobile app and PDF viewer to complete the fillable forms. iOS users please use Chrome browser to download the file.
The follwing supporting documents must be provided with your Request for Special Support Funding Application:
- Last year’s Notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency, or a CRA Proof of Income Statement, for every adult family member
- A letter of assessment from a healthcare professional
Mail or drop off your completed application with supporting documents to:
Special Supports Program
Ontario Works Mountain Office
1550 Upper James Street, Unit 14 A
Hamilton, Ontario L9B 2L6
Office Hours: 8:30 to 4:30 pm
Email: [email protected]
All OW office locations remain temporarily closed due to COVID-19.
- Date modified: