Funds to help low income households, Ontario Works and Ontario Disability Support Program pay for utility arrears, disconnection and security deposits.
The Utilities Arrears Benefit provides assistance for utility arrears (hydro, electric, heat, water/sewage), security deposits and/or reconnection fees when the utility charges are not included in the cost of rent/condo fees.
- Assistance provided up to $1,500 per year for families with children and dependent adults.
- Assistance provided up to $800 per year for singles and couples without children.
- A request will be made to the utility provider to immediately and temporarily to postpone utility disconnection.
- Approved assistance will be paid directly to the utility company.
How to apply
Ontario Works Participants (OW)
Call 905-546-4800 and speak to your OW Case Manager
Ontario Disability Support Program Participants (ODSP)
Call 905-521-7280 and speak to your ODSP Case Manager for referral to Housing Help Centre
People living with low incomes who are not in receipt of OW or ODSP
Call 905-526-8100 and speak to the Housing Help Centre.
- Housing Help Centre Office Hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 10 am to 4:30 pm
Wednesday: 12 noon to 4:30 pm
Low Income is based on the 2006 Statistics Canada Low-Income Cut-Off
Family Size - Income (after taxes)
1 person - $17,570
2 people - $21,384
3 people - $26,628
4 people - $33,221
5 people - $37,828
6 people - $41,953
7+ people - $46,077
- Date modified: