Permits & Inspections

Permits & Inspections

Business Licensing
We have reopened in-person counters for regular business hours (8:30 am to 4:30 pm):

  • Monday to Friday at City Hall, 71 Main St. W., 1st Floor
  • Monday and Wednesday at 330 Wentworth St. N., Hamilton

Business Licence applications or renewals can be submitted 7 days a week to [email protected]

Questions for staff? Contact us 5 days a week by email [email protected] or phone at 905 546-2782 option 3.

Storefront of several different stores downtown

Service at a Glance


BizPaL is an online service that provides entrepreneurs with information on business permits and licences.Finding out which government requirements apply to a certain business type can be time consuming and frustrating. BizPaL helps you identify what you may need quickly and easily. 

Temporary Outdoor Patio Program

To allow eligible local businesses to establish temporary seasonal patios and seating areas on municipal or private property

When do I need a building permit?

You will need a building permit if you make any changes to the structure of your building such as:

  • demolishing
  • altering the interior
  • changing or expanding the use of a building
Who's responsible for scheduling a construction inspection?

Building inspectors inspect at key stages of construction that are prescribed in the Ontario Building Code. It is the permit holder's responsibility to arrange for inspections at the required inspection stages. 

What businesses have health requirements?

These businesses require health requirements:

  • Beauty and body art
  • Child care centres
  • Food premises and restaurants
  • Group homes, lodging homes and funeral homes
  • Public places and workplaces
  • Stores that sell tobacco
  • Facilities with cooling towers
  • Businesses that use a small drinking water supply
  • Public swimming pools and hot tubs
Do I need a permit to haul and dispose of sewage?

The City of Hamilton offers a Hauled Sewage Program to ensure that hauled sewage is handled and disposed of in an appropriate and responsible manner in order to protect public health, property and the environment.

As part of this program, there are two types of permits issued to businesses:

  • Annual Carrier Permit
  • Generator Permit