The City of Hamilton offers a Hauled Sewage Program to ensure that hauled sewage is handled and disposed of in an appropriate and responsible manner in order to protect public health, property and the environment.
Permitted Carriers Responsibility
Permitted Carriers are responsible for:
- paying fees to the City of Hamilton to discharge hauled sewage based on quantity and quality.
- completing and submitting a City of Hamilton Hauled Sewage Discharge Declaration before discharging each load.
- completing and submitting an MOE Movement Document / Manifest for all “subject waste” as defined in Ontario Regulation 347 before discharging applicable loads.
- only discharging at the locations and times specified in the Sewer Use By-law.
- providing City of Hamilton Generator Permit Numbers on the Hauled Sewage Discharge Declaration for all sources of industrial wastes as defined in the Sewer Use By-law.
Types of Permits
As part of this program, there are two types of permits issued to businesses:
- Annual Carrier Permit
- Generator Permit
Apply for an Annual Carrier Permit
To apply for an Annual Carrier Permit you will need to submit:
- a completed Annual Carrier Permit application form (PDF, 27 KB)
- proof of business licence
- proof of insurance
- appropriate Ministry of Environment certificates
In person to one of these locations:
Customer Service and Community Outreach
330 Wentworth Street North, 1st Floor Storefront
Hamilton, Ontario L8L 5W2
Environmental Monitoring and Enforcement
700 Woodward Ave
Hamilton, Ontario L8H 6P4
Cash and Credit Card payments can only be accepted at Customer Service and Community Outreach Storefront.
Each permitted vehicle is supplied with a windshield sticker as evidence of a valid permit. Sewage Haulers must display the valid windshield sticker and submit written details about the source of the wastewater to gain access to discharge.
Permitted Carriers must follow and abide by the City of Hamilton Sewer Use By-law as amended from time to time.
Apply for a Generator Permit
Premises that require industrial sewage to be hauled to the City’s WWTP must obtain a Generator Permit.
To obtain a permit, contact the City at 905-546-2424 ext. 5190.
Hazardous waste cannot be treated at the City of Hamilton WWTP and must be taken to a hazardous waste disposal outlet. Consult the yellow pages or internet for hazardous waste disposal outlets.
The City of Hamilton has a Household Hazardous Waste Program.
- Date modified: