Learn more about the provincial framework and how our community’s collective effort can prevent and contain the spread of the virus...
In Summer 2019 Hamilton City Council approved an expansion of the Mountain Climber pilot program that allows cyclists to take an HSR bus up or down the escarpment for free.
To participate in the Mountain Climber program, cyclists should wait at one of the marked stops and secure their bike to the front bike rack on the bus. They should let the operator know they are riding for free as a Mountain Climber and depart the bus at the first available stop once up or down the escarpment roadway.
Mountain Climber is a joint program between the City of Hamilton’s Transit Division (HSR) and Transportation Planning Services.
How the Mountain Climber program works
All Mountain Climbers will need to follow these steps to participate:
- Wait at a designated Mountain Climber Stop
- When a bus arrives, secure your bike to the front bike rack. If there are no bicycle rack spaces available, you will have to wait for the next bus. If there are customers waiting at the stop with a bicycle who are going to pay full fare, they must be allowed to load and board the bus first.
- When you walk on the bus, announce to the operator that you will be riding for free as a Mountain Climber. You may stand or sit near the front of the bus.
- At the designated departure stop, leave the bus and remove your bicycle. If you change your mind and decide to ride to a farther stop, you must pay a full fare to the operator at this point.
Mountain Climber Stops
Mountain Climber stops are marked with unique signage.
Mountain Climber Routes & Stops
Bus bike racks
- We have installed bike racks on the entire HSR bus fleet - Bikes on Buses Program
- GO Transit also uses the same design of bike rack on their bus fleet that connects the Hamilton area to the GTA. Bicycles are also permitted on GO Trains, but check GO Transit for time period restrictions.
For questions or comments about the program:
Email: [email protected]
- Date modified: