Driving & Traffic

Driving & Traffic

Service at a Glance

Vision Zero

Vision Zero is a global movement transforming the way we use, interact and travel on our roads. It has a simple and clear goal: ZERO fatalities or serious injuries on roadways. Vision Zero aims for safer streets through improved education, enforcement, engineering, evaluation and engagement.

Traffic Safety Tools

Traffic safety tools utilized on City of Hamilton streets

  • Red light cameras
  • Dynamic speed signs
  • Traffic signs
  • Traffic signals
Where are road closures in the city?

The City posts all scheduled, temporary full road construction, closures and events.
Lists do not include unscheduled or emergency closures. 

Traffic Signals

Full traffic signals are traditional green-amber-red light displays for all directions of approaching traffic. You can request installation of full traffic signal or report damaged traffic signals or signals that are flashing red.

What's the fine for running a red light?

The fine for running a red light detected by a camera system or a police officer is $260, plus a $60 victim surcharge and $5 for costs for a total of $325. Failing to stop for a red light where a police officer issues a ticket results in three demerit points.

What is pedestrian crossover?

Pedestrian crossovers are a new way for pedestrians to easily and safely cross the road.

New traffic and driving rules apply.

How can I report damaged or missing signs?

To request new traffic signs or report damaged or missing traffic signs, contact us by:

Phone: 905-546-4376
Email: [email protected]

How can I request a review of a street or intersection to improve traffic safety?

To request new traffic signs, pavement markings, crosswalks, speed limit changes and other traffic safety improvements, contact us by:

Read more about what information you need to provide