Driving & Traffic

Distracted Driving

Distracted driving is more than just using cell phones for calls or texting. It can include any activity that distracts the driver from safely operating their vehicle such as:

  • reading
  • watching videos and using other electronic devices
  • eating and/or drinking
  • smoking
  • pets or animals
  • children or passengers
  • personal grooming

Distracted driving has become a growing concern with the advancement of technology. It recently beat Drinking and Driving as the number one cause of motor vehicle collisions.

The Hamilton Strategic Road Safety Committee is comprised of members from the City of Hamilton’s Public Works and Public Health Services departments and Hamilton Police Services.

Penalties for distracted driving

Did you know that with the passing of Ontario's Bill 31 - Making Ontario’s Roads Safer Act the penalties associated with distracted driving have increased?

  • Fines are $300 to $1000
  • You will lose three demerit points if you are convicted of a distracted driving offense
  • Young and novice drivers convicted of any Graduated Licensing System violation are subject to:
    • Minimum 30 day licence suspension for a first offence
    • 90 day licence suspension for a second conviction
    • Third and subsequent instances can lead to the cancellation of their driver’s licence and removal from the Graduated Licensing System

Hamilton collision data

A review of collision data in the City of Hamilton between 2010 and 2013 identified that:

  • vehicle/vehicle & single vehicle motor collisions represented 86% of all collisions in Hamilton, while the remaining 14% of collisions involved pedestrians or cyclists.
  • 38% of drivers involved in distracted related collisions are under 34 years of age and 67% are under 55. One in five or 18.3% are between 16 and 24 years of age.
  • older drivers (involved in less than 25% of distracted related collisions) account for 33% of fatal and serious injury collisions.