Temporary Lane & Sidewalk Occupancy Permit
If you require short-term occupancy of sidewalks or lanes of a roadway, you first need a Temporary Lane and Sidewalk Occupancy Permit from the City of Hamilton. This ensures proper approvals and compliance requirements are met to keep the public safe on all City roads and sidewalks.
Applying for a Temporary Lane & Sidewalk Occupancy Permit
- Complete the Temporary Lane & Sidewalk Occupancy Permit Application
- The permit fee is required upon issuance of the permit. Visa and Master Card is accepted.
- Unrestricted Lane Occupancy (i.e. Local Lane, Partial Sidewalk, Alley, Walk-through Scaffolding) $54.67 per 14 day period
- Restricted Lane Occupancy (Arterial lanes signed No Parking Anytime / No Stopping Anytime) $54.67 (per lane/per day)
- Sidewalk Closure ("Pedestrians Use Other Sidewalk" signs are to be installed by and at the applicant's expense) $118.42 per 14 day period
- Occupancies related to Road Cuts (Excavations) are a flat rate of $54.67. Sidewalk Closure Permit Fee does not apply.
- Extensions of all above mentioned permits will be considered on a case by case basis. Please email prior to permit expiry.
- Please provide a minimum of 5 days notice.
Temporary Full Road Closure Permits
You need a Temporary Road Closure Permit when occupancy of a full roadway or one full direction of traffic on a roadway is blocked for more than three to five minutes.
Applying for a temporary road closure permit
Complete the following application: Temporary Road Closure Application
A minimum of 2 weeks notice is required to process a Temporary Road Closure Application.
Please note that Temporary Road Closures are not encouraged. Every other option should be exhausted before submitting an application to close a road.
** If you are requesting a road closure due to Development-related water/sewer connections, please contact your inspector in Development Construction as they stickhandle this road closure process.
Upon Approval (via a Delegated Authority Letter signed by the Chief Road Official), the following conditional items will be required prior to closure:
- Certificate of Insurance (minimum 2 million liability naming the City of Hamilton as an additional insured, or 5 million if fireworks or alcohol are part of your event)
- Neighbourhood Notice (to be delivered to all property owners affected by the closure, a minimum of one week prior to your event)
- Traffic Control Plan (to be created by, setup and taken down by an OTM Book 7 qualified Traffic Control Company) . Please contact us if you require a list of known Traffic Control Companies.
- Permit Fee (Fee subject to change annually)
- 2022 Permit fee for Construction is $1,550.30 (no GST).
- 2022 Permit fee for Filming & Events is $721.24 (no GST).
Oversize Truck Permits
If you want to operate an oversized or overweight truck on City roads, you need an Oversize Permit and proper liability insurance.
Applying for an oversize truck permit for an oversized or overweight truck
Please note that it may take up to 5 business days for standard oversize applications. All overweight applications may require additional review time
Commercial and High-density Residential Access Permits
- Date modified: