Driving & Traffic

Traffic Signs

How to request a new traffic sign or report missing/damaged signs

To request new traffic signs or report damaged or missing traffic signs, you will need to contact us by:

  • What your request is for, including:
    • Description of the location for the new sign:
      • Street name sign (people getting lost as there is no sign identifying the street at corner or intersection)
      • No parking sign on City property
      • No parking sign on private property
      • New regulatory sign (i.e., stop sign, deaf child sign, blind child sign, speed limit sign, truck route sign, one way sign, deer crossing sign, playground sign, flashing school zone sign)
    • Description of the location for the replacement sign or repair of sign:
      • Sign is missing, indicating which sign is needed
      • Sign is damaged, indicating which sign needs repair

To report damaged or missing signs on school property, contact the appropriate school board:

  • Public School Board: 905-527-5092
  • Separate School Board: 905-525-2930
  • French District Catholic School Board: 1-800-274-3764

To report a damaged or missing police bait sign:

  • These signs are often posted in common parking lots such as at shopping malls
  • These signs are posted when Hamilton Police Services has set-up a police bait vehicle in the parking lot to help capture thieves or vandals

How to request a review of a street or intersection to improve traffic safety

To request new traffic signs, pavement markings, crosswalks, speed limit changes and other traffic safety improvements, you will need to contact us by:

  • What your request is for, including:
    • Description of the location (i.e. street name or intersection name)
    • Outline the nature and reason for your concern (i.e.excessive speeds, restricted sightlines, pedestrian safety, school safety, etc.) Be specific including the time of day that the problem(s) most commonly occur.

Traffic arm at Sherman Access

Hours for one-way travel on the Sherman Access:

  • The Sherman Access is one way down-bound from 6:50 am to 9:10 am.
  • The Sherman Access is one way up-bound from 3:50 pm to 6:10 pm.
  • At all other times, the Sherman Access accommodates two-way traffic.

Report repair and maintenance needed on the Sherman Access by calling 905-546-2489 and identifying the following:

  • If there is a problem with the traffic arm not being up or down at the correct time
  • If there a problem at the top or the bottom of the Sherman Access