Streets & Sidewalks

Road & Sidewalk Maintenance

The City of Hamilton maintains roadways by doing the following:

  • Road patrol
  • Pothole repairs  
  • Shoulder drop off repairs  
  • Street lighting and sign maintenance
  • Emergency response

  • Traffic counts and traffic control systems maintenance
  • Dust control on gravel roads
  • Sweeping
  • Driveway widening
  • Entrance culverts
  • Ditch cleaning/grading
  • Rural roadside mowing

You can call the City of Hamilton at 905-546-2489 to report road repair or maintenance issues. Below are the issues you can report and details we need from you.

Potholes, sinkholes and road cuts on City-maintained streets

Sinkhole: a sinkhole is a natural depression in the surface that is much deeper or larger than a pothole. They vary in size from less than a metre to several hundred metres.

Pothole: a pothole is a defect in the roadway caused by pavement fatigue, poor support beneath the surface or moisture penetration. Potholes vary in size, depth and shape.

Road cut: a road cut is a clean, smooth, square cut where there is water or sewer replacement or utility work being done.

Call the City of Hamilton at 905-546-2489 and report:

  • The location of the hole
  • What the hole looks like

If a pothole or other required road maintenance is on a Provincial route, contact the Ministry of Transportation's Corridor Maintenance office at 1-866-636-0663.

Street sweeping and dust on the road

The City cleans streets on a seasonal basis. We will clean your street the next time we are in your area after you report a problem:

  • If there is construction going on in the area
  • If there is dust or mud on the road
  • The location of the problem

Phone: 905-546-2489
Email: [email protected]
Online Complaint Form

Trees or debris on the road

You are responsible for debris that falls from a private tree on your property. You are also responsible for maintenance or damages.

If possible, remove City and private tree branch debris off the road or sidewalk and package it into four foot bundles for pick up on your regular garbage day. 

Call the City of Hamilton at 905-546-2489 and report:

  • If the fallen tree is on City property or private property
  • If the fallen tree or branch is blocking the roadway or sidewalk

If you have a concern about an obstruction or a safety issue on the roadway call 905-546-2489.

Mud tracking

Fouling the highway or mud tracking is when a vehicle spills or tracks mud, soil or building materials when leaving or entering a property, onto a city street. Drivers need to make sure their vehicles are not tracking materials onto the street. If material gets on the street, it is the driver’s responsibility to clean it.

Phone: 905-546-2489
Email: [email protected]
Online Complaint Form

Municipal Law Enforcement Officers can investigate. If they find a violation they will ensure the operator is aware of their responsibility to keep the street clean. If there are subsequent violations officers can issue a Fee for Inspection and may issue a ticket and/or court actions.

Mud tracking in new home development sites

Dust and mud tracking is common when new subdivisions are being built. The City will ensure that the developer fulfils the responsibility of periodic road cleaning. If you have a complaint about the condition of a street in a new home development site, call 905 546-2424 ext. 7860 or ext. 1330.

If your vehicle is damaged by a pothole or other road maintenance issue, see a licensed motor vehicle mechanic. Do not drive your vehicle if it is not working properly. Your vehicle insurance policy may provide coverage for this type of loss. Call your insurance company or broker for more information.

Report a pothole or road hazard

If you notify the City of Hamilton about a pothole or road hazard, or are submitting a claim to the City, the exact location of the pothole or hazard is required. The City investigates and fixes road hazards. Claims made to the City for property damage are examined individually. 

Call 905-546-2489 to notify the City about a pothole or road hazard.

Submit a claim

You must submit a claim for property damage in writing to:

City of Hamilton
Risk Management Services
71 Main Street West, Suite 1101
Hamilton, Ontario L8P 4Y5

You must describe:

  • what was damaged
  • how it happened
  • date and time of occurrence
  • names of contractors, equipment, operators where possible
  • Your name, address and phone number

When Risk Management Services receives your claim, they start an investigation. You will receive a written reply in the mail to let you know they received your claim. A decision on your claim is made when all of the information has been reviewed.