There are over 830 on-street parking meters intended for short-term parking in Downtown Hamilton:
- Cost $1.50 per hour Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm (effective June 1, 2017)
- Are free all day Saturday, Sunday, on Holidays and after 6 pm Monday to Friday
- Have rates and times clearly marked on the meters
- Have time limits of one to two hours
- Have a 10 minute grace period after the paid time has expired
The on-street meters outside of Downtown Hamilton:
- Cost $1.50 per hour (effective June 1, 2017)
- Are enforced Monday to Wednesday and Saturday from 8 am to 6 pm and Thursday and Friday from 8 am to 9 pm
Check meters and parking signs to make sure there are not rush hour restrictions.
Some on-street parking meters have been replaced with Pay and Display machines.
Pre-Christmas free parking
The City of Hamilton also offers pre-Christmas free parking at select meters and lots across the city.
Pay and display machines
Pay and Display machines, or P&D machines, are multi-space parking pay machines found in most City car parks.
P&D machines are:
- solar powered
- have an electronic display
- easy to use
After you park, pay for the amount of parking you need. You will get a receipt to put on your dashboard face up. If the machine is not working, use a different one.
The average daily parking rate in Hamilton municipal car parks is $5.58
Report a repair or maintenance issue
Report repair and maintenance issues by:
- Phone: 905-540-6000
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You will need to report:
- The location of the parking meter
- The number on the parking meter
- The location of the car park, if you are reporting a Pay & Display machine
Repair and maintenance of machines and meters
Technicians inspect the parking meters every day. Response time to repair a reported malfunctioning meter is under 24 hours.
If you received a parking ticket due to a malfunctioning meter or would like to dispute the fine, contact the Hamilton Municipal Parking System office Monday to Friday 9 am to 4 pm at 80 Main Street West, Hamilton. The entrance is off of Summers Lane, opposite City Hall.
- Date modified: