If you want to park on your own property, the Residential Driveway Access Permit allows you to:
- establish a new driveway approach
- modify an existing driveway approach or culvert entrance
Permits will not be approved if the location is underneath the canopy of a City tree.
There is a one-time non-refundable processing fee effective January 1, 2022 of $403.00 including HST.
How to apply for a Driveway Access Permit
You will need to call 905-546-2489 to start the application process. Once your application is submitted staff will contact you.
Once you receive approval from the City, you will be given:
- a quote to install a concrete driveway approach or culvert entrance
Do not put asphalt on the road to create or extend a driveway approach ramp. Putting any material on the roadway without authorization from the City is against Hamilton’s Streets By-law No. 86-077. You will be subject to a fine up to $5,000 and all costs for removing the material.
Driveway approach widths
Follow these rules for driveway approach widths:
- Single vehicle driveway approaches are 4 metres (13 feet) wide.
- Multiple vehicle driveway approaches can be up to 8 metres (27 feet) wide.
- The standard width of a culvert platform entrance (not the pipe) is 6 metres (20 feet) for residential properties.
- Your driveway must be 0.91 metres (3 feet) away from a fire hydrant or hydro pole.
- The City of Hamilton has a 50% green space requirement under the Zoning By-law No. 05-200. You cannot pave your entire front yard.
Repairs and maintenance of existing driveway approaches
If you have questions about existing driveway approaches or ramps such as repairs, maintenance or estimates for widening, contact Roads Operations and Maintenance by:
Email: [email protected]
- Date modified: