A City of Hamilton Veteran’s Parking Permit and Veteran’s licence plate are required for City of Hamilton Veteran's parking fee exemptions.
Veteran licence plates
Veteran licence plates are available from the The Royal Canadian Legion. For more information about how to apply for a veteran licence plate visit www.on.legion.ca.
Hamilton Veteran’s Parking Permit Program
Effective October 1, 2015, all Veterans who have been issued Ontario Veteran licence plates (excluding RCMP) will receive free parking in Hamilton with the use of a special City-issued permit.
The Veterans parking fee exemption is a 12-month pilot program offering Veterans the ability to park for free in any municipal parking lot or on-street parking meter (for the duration of the parking meter).
How to apply for a City of Hamilton Veteran's Parking Permit
To apply for a Veteran’s parking permit:
- Complete the Veteran’s Parking Permit application form (PDF, 45 KB)
- Submit the completed application form and the following documents to Hamilton Municipal Parking System:
- Vehicle Registration with Veteran’s licence plate
- Government-issued identification with address and date of birth
- Canadian Forces Service Record
You can submit your application in-person, by fax or by mail to:
- Hamilton Municipal Parking System
80 Main Street West
Hamilton, Ontario L8P 1H6
If you submit your application in person, your permit is issued immediately. If you submit your application by fax or mail you will receive your permit in the mail about seven business days after receipt. You must display your permit in your vehicle upon receipt.
There is no fee to apply for the permit.
Using your Veteran’s Parking Permit
Veterans can park:
- At any street meter, for the duration of the meter only (e.g., one hour meter, two hour meter), free of charge.
- At any municipal car park, including the two City covered garages, for up to 12 hours each day, free of charge.
- Before exiting the parking garages, the Veteran must speak with staff and show their Veteran’s parking permit.
Every Veteran's Parking Permit remains the property of the City and may be suspended or revoked, without notice. Parking permits must be renewed every year.
If an eligible Veteran no longer has a driver’s licence, a caregiver may apply for or renew the Veteran’s Parking Permit if the vehicle is:
- registered and insured in the name of the eligible Veteran
- operated exclusively for the benefit of the eligible Veteran
- Date modified: