Given the current COVID-19 situation in Hamilton, the City of Hamilton and Public Health officials are continuing to remind residents to avoid unnecessary trips outside the home and limit close contact with those outside their immediate household.
However, the mental health impacts of isolation can be serious, and outdoor activities are good for both physical and mental health. The risk of transmission is lower outside as long as precautions like physical distancing and proper hand hygiene are followed. The safest option is to choose activities that can be done with those who you live with.
Tips for participating in winter activities safely:
- Enjoy these activities with those you live with.
- Keep a 2 metre (6 foot) distance from those you do not live with.
- Choose less popular locations if using public spaces for activities.
- If spaces are crowded, come back later or choose a different activity/location.
- Wear a face covering/mask when indoors or when physical distancing is not possible outdoors.
- Carpool only with those you live with.
- Avoid sharing food or drinks.
- Bring hand sanitizer to clean hands frequently, especially after touching rental equipment, commonly touched surfaces, and before/after eating.
- Remember the usual winter activity safety tips such as wearing helmets, dressing warmly, etc.
This year, the City of Hamilton is offering an increased variety of outdoor activities for residents to safely enjoy throughout the winter season.