Swimming Policies & Guidelines
What you should know before arriving at the pool
Children 7 years of age or older are required to use the changeroom of their identified gender or a universal changeroom, if available. If this is not suitable or a universal changeroom is not available, please speak to the facility staff.
Universal change rooms are for all patrons. Patron’s using the universal change room must use privacy cubicles and not the common area. Bathing attire must be worn in the universal shower area unless a privacy cubicle exists.
Only lessons operated by the City of Hamilton are permitted.
Serious medical conditions
Those with serious medical conditions should be accompanied by an individual knowledgeable of their condition and responsible for their direct supervision. Thepatron accompanying the individual is not required to pay an entrance fee.
What to wear in the pool/bathing attire
When using City of Hamilton pools, all swimmers must wear bathing apparel that is clean and used specifically for the purpose of bathing. Apparel worn in the pool must permit individuals to participate safely in programs. All apparel/swim attire must be appropriate for a general audience.
Recommendations for safe swimming attire:
- Clothing should be a lightweight fabric (denim, including cut-offs, are not recommended).
- Form fitted clothes are preferred
All participants not toilet trained must wear an article of clothing that will keep fecal matter contained in the event of a fouling. Options available:
- Plastic pants with tight legs, Little Swimmers, Pool Pant Diapers, Gabby’s, Adult swim diapers
- Standard diapers are not allowed, due to excessive absorption materials that will go into the pool.
Swim admission criteria
All non-swimmers must remain in the shallow end.
- Children 0 to 5 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian, and must be within arm’s reach at all times.
- Children 6 to 9 years of age who cannot pass the Facility Swim Test, must be accompanied by a parent or guardian, and must be within arm’s reach at all times.
- Children 6 to 9 who can pass the Facility Swim Test may be admitted without a parent or guardian.
A guardian is defined as an individual at least 12 years of age or older who is responsible for the direct supervision of children within their care.
|Age of child||Ratio without lifejackets||Ratio with lifejackets|
|0 to 5 years||1:2||1:2|
|6 to 9 years||1:4||1:8|