Canada Day, Friday July 1 - What's Open & What's Closed
All City of Hamilton administrative offices will be closed on Canada Day, Friday, July 1
- For emergencies involving roads, water mains, sewer systems, public health and safety issues, please call 905-546-2489.
Green Cart, Recycling and Garbage Collection
- There will be no green cart, blue box, bulk waste, yard waste, or garbage pick-up on Friday, July 1.
- Your pick-up will be one day later if it falls on or after the holiday.
- Waste must be at the curb by 7 am.
To view your collection schedule, visit www.hamilton.ca/waste.
Community Recycling Centres and Transfer Stations will be closed on Friday, July 1.
HSR Bus Schedules
- The HSR will be operating on Sunday/Holiday service hours on Friday, July 1.
- Call HSR information at 905-527-4441 for more details.
- DARTS will be operating on holiday service hours on Friday, July 1.
- All subscription trips on DARTS, with the exception of dialysis, are cancelled for Monday, May 23.
- If passengers need to travel on this day, they must make an advance reservation to do so.
ATS customer service will be closed on Friday, July 1.
- All Senior recreation centres clubs and arenas will be closed on Friday, July 1.
- Wading Pools will be closed on Friday, July 1, with the exception of Dundas Driving Park and Gage Park sites.
- Outdoor Pools and Norman Pinky Lewis Recreation Centre will be open on Friday July 1 on a modified holiday schedule.
- Visit www.hamilton.ca/open-pools-canada-day for a list of activities offered on July 1.
Hamilton Civic Museums
- All museums will be closed on closed on Friday, July 1.
Tourism Hamilton Visitor Information Centre
- Tourism Hamilton Visitor Information Centre (Lister Building, 28 James St. N) will be closed on Friday, July 1.
- Details: www.tourismhamilton.com/visitor-services
Hamilton Farmers' Market
The Farmers' Market hours are as follows:
- Thursday, June 30 - 8 am to 6 pm
- Friday, July 1 - Closed
- Saturday, July 2 - 7 am to 5 pm
- Sunday, July 3 - Closed
- Monday, July 4 - Closed
- Tuesday, July 5 - 8 am to 6 pm
- Wednesday, July 6 - Closed
Hamilton Public Library
- All Hamilton Public Library locations will be closed on Friday, July 1 for the Canada Day holiday.
- Regular hours will resume on Saturday, July 2 for all library locations. Please visit www.hpl.ca for more information.
Public Health Services
For Public Health matters concerning:
- Reports of suspected reportable diseases and food poisoning, call 905-546-2063
- Reports of environmental spills, fires or other events that may be a health hazard or safety issue, call 905-546-2489
- Reports of rabies animal exposures, call 905-546-2489
- Safe Water Program issues that may be a health hazard, call 905-546-2489 or visit www.hamilton.ca/safewater
- All Ontario Works offices will be closed on Friday, July 1, and will reopen Monday, July 4 at 8:30 am.
- The Employment Resource Centre located at 181 Main St. West (Career Development Centre) will be closed on Friday, July 1. It will be open to assist you with any employment service needs on Monday, July 4 at 8:30 am.
- The Animal Services Shelter will be closed on Friday, July 1.
- For 24-hour Animal Services emergency issues, please call: 905-574-3433 or visit www.hamilton.ca/animalservices
Property Tax Payments
- During the holiday, you may submit your property tax payment into a drop box at the rear doors of City Hall, 71 Main Street West or at one of our Municipal Service Centres. Only cheque payments will be accepted in the drop box.
- All Municipal Service Centres will be closed on Friday, July 1 and will reopen on Monday, July 4.
- Tax payments can also be made online or through telebanking, set up through your financial institution.
Municipal Service Centre locations:
Payments may also be made anytime by mail to:
The City of Hamilton
c/o Tax Department
71 Main Street West
Hamilton, Ontario, L8P 4Y5
- The Parking Office at 80 Main Street West will be closed Friday, July 1.
- Online payments can be made at: www.hamilton.ca/pay-your-ticket
Payment of parking violations can be made by mail to the pre-printed address indicated on the parking tag or dropped off into the drop box at the nearest Municipal Service Centre or Taxation Division (noted above). The Hamilton Municipal Parking System office at 80 Main St. West, at Summers Lane, also accepts payments for parking violations at its drop box.