Waste Collection Operator Recruitment
Waste Collection Operator Recruitment is currently Open. Apply Now to Job #20019
The City of Hamilton is looking for Waste Collection Operators to join our team. These roles are permanent part-time staff with the possible opportunity to transition to full-time.
The Waste Collection Operator will collect either garbage, bulk, organic waste, leaf and yard or litter containers from residential streets and assigned routes for disposal at a City waste disposal facility as directed by their Supervisor.
Operators are an important essential service and are the faces of the City, who our residents see weekly. Thanks to our waste collectors, our city continues to improve and grow towards a cleaner and greener city. Waste Collection Operations happen rain, shine or snow and weekend shifts may be required.
- Drive and operate either a single operator, left and right hand drive, two stream side load waste collection truck or a two person, rear load, two or single stream waste collection truck in a safe and efficient manner according to all relevant provincial legislation (Ministry of Transportation and Occupational Health and Safety Act) and all City policies and procedures in order to minimize the risk of injury, property damage or loss of life.
- Perform routine preventive maintenance on truck, drain air tanks, conduct daily pre and post trip inspections.
- Report any mechanical problems.
- Unload curb side waste at pre-determined disposal sites.
- Manually and/or by use of a hydraulic cart tipper, pick up and load garbage, bulk, organic waste and/or leaf and yard waste as well as multi-sort/litter containers.
- Empty organic carts and return to the proper location.
- Tag containers/bags to inform residents of non-compliance of Solid Waste Management By-law.
- Pick up spilled refuse that may have occurred while collecting waste.
- Work outdoors through all weather conditions.
- When performing "collection duties" assist collection truck driver to turn and back up truck by guiding and watching for traffic/pedestrians/obstructions.
- Assist collection truck operator to unload packer truck when required at disposal site(s).
- Clean and disinfect compactor truck inside the cab, outside and in the compaction box as scheduled and or required.
- Ability to perform the duties of the job for an entire work day and be available to work weekend shifts when required.
- Ability to report to work when scheduled and notify the appropriate individual(s) in advance if unable to work.
- Perform other duties as assigned which are directly related to the major responsibilities of the job.
- Preference to candidates with High School Diploma
- Preference to candidates with 3 to 5 years of experience operating and maintaining large/heavy CVOR vehicles preferred. Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions in performing a variety of tasks such as operate vehicles, emptying litter containers, collecting waste and following designated routes as identified on route maps.
- Must possess a valid Class "D" Licence or equivalent with a valid "Z" endorsement and a driver abstract clear of demerit points and infractions. No exceptions.
- Must have knowledge in the following areas: vehicle and equipment safety, equipment cleaning standards and procedures, record keeping.
- Must be able to demonstrate the following skills: ability to operate the required vehicles and equipment in a safe and responsible manner, team building, decision making ability, effective verbal and listening skills, problem solving, client service and public interaction, dealing with the public in a positive, courteous and respectful manner, and in general conduct oneself during the workday to ensure good quality service and value to the taxpayer.
- Must have excellent hand/eye coordination and have sufficient physical strength and ability to independently and repeatedly lift, move, pull, push bend, reach, grip, step, walk, drive, twist, climb, squat and carry objects weighing up to 23 Kg (50 lbs) or more if designated to provide bulk collection service with a partner.
- Interview Process
- Standard Operating Procedure exam
- Comprehensive driving evaluation
As a condition of employment you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated or provide proof of valid exemption satisfactory to the employer prior to your start date. You must acknowledge and agree to comply with any future vaccine policy requirements as an ongoing condition of employment at the City of Hamilton.