Driving & Traffic - Vision Zero
Speeding & Slow Down Zones
Why are Safe Speeds important?
Excess and inappropriate speed is responsible for a high percentage of injuries and fatalities resulting from road collisions. Controlling vehicle speed can prevent collisions happening and can reduce the impact when they do occur by giving people more time to stop, lessening the likelihood of a collision and reducing the severity of injuries.
Encouraging Hamilton motorists to
- Give yourself plenty of time to get to where you need to go. Leave earlier so you do not rush to your destination.
- Pay close attention to the speedometer. Take a quick look down to see how fast you’re going and adjust your speed accordingly. Use the cruise control option to set a safe speed.
- Be cautious: Do not speed through intersections, even if you have the right of way.
- Be especially careful at night, early evening, early morning, or if the sun is in your eyes.
- Slow down for older pedestrians who need more time to cross the road or children playing near or crossing the street.
- Be courteous to all pedestrians who share the road with you.
- Treat pedestrians with respect.
- Stay alert and slow down on residential streets and through school zones.
- Practice safe, mindful driving habits to improve road safety and decrease road injuries and fatalities
September 01, 2022