Implementation of the Churchill Park Master Plan(PDF, 2.98 MB) will occur over a period of years and in several phases and sub-phases. The schedule is dependent upon approval of capital funding through the regular City capital budget process. Phase 1 was completed on September 20, 2019. Public consultation will occur in 2019-2020 to review Phase 2 scope. Phase 2 design work began in early 2020, and construction was completed in 2022. Phase 3 design is currently underway.
Phase 3 Scope
- Limestone screening walkway from the corner of Marion Ave. N. and Cline Ave. N. to the Ravine Road Trail
- Asphalt walkway connection from Cline Ave. N. to the play structure
- An informal teaching area between Temple Anshe Sholom and the playground
- Asphalt walkway from Cootes Paradise Elementary School to the playground
- Accessible ramp, stairs, building improvements, accessible washrooms, and landscaping improvements at the washroom building at Parkside Dr. and Devon Pl.
- Stairs and sidewalk extension at Kipling Rd. and Parkside Dr.
Phase 2 Scope
As part of the phase 2 work, the City has created a concept plan(PDF, 1.61 MB) that was based off the approved Churchill Park Master Plan. The proposed concept plan has been refined based on pedestrian circulation, geotechnical, grading and water infiltration studies that were performed in late 2019 and early 2020.
- Install 1.5 and 2.5m wide limestone screening walkways on the upper plateau (soccer field area), connecting to phase 1 walkways. This will create a network of loop walkways and will improve accessibility through the park.
- Re-grade the existing Cricket pitch and convert to a multi-use open space.
- Install a network of grassed swales and small-scale rain gardens around the new multi-use open space and west of the 2 mini soccer fields.
- Shifting 2 mini soccer pitches east to permit small rain garden installation and improve sports field drainage.
- Formal connections to Royal Botanical Gardens trail heads (Ginger Valley Trail and Princess Point Trail).
- Installation of stone seating nodes at Franklin Ave. and Norwood Road walkway intersections.
Phase 1 Scope
- Re-grading the turf area and the construction of rain gardens for storm water management in the park and along Parkside Drive
- Creating a granular pathway from Devon Place to Marion Avenue. This pathway will extend northerly to the driveway off of Oak Knoll Drive.
- Installation of a trail connecting the Aviary parking lot to the RBG trail head
- Planting new native trees to enhance the forest edge and to provide shade in the future. The Royal Botanical Gardens is undertaking this work.