Trillium Award Volunteer Judges
Judges Registration and Nominations forms open
Judges Registration and Nominations forms close
Trillium Judges Launch / Meet and Greet
June 24 to July 8
White Trillium Judging
Pink Judging / Trillium Ward Coaches Launch
July 18 to August 2
White Awards Delivered & Pink Trillium Judging
August 8 to August 12
Pink Trillium Photos
August 19 to August 26
Red Trillium Judging
Red Judges Panel
Training documents, outlines and assignments will be delivered virtually. Judges will be trained and provided a list of nominated gardens in a ward to judge and score in person. Judges will submit their scores online which will be tabulated for all nominations in each ward. The 20 highest scores within each ward will receive a White Trillium Award. Judges, Ward Coaches and Committee Members should plan to attend the Trillium Judges Launch meeting in June.
Judging of White and Pink Trilliums will be in person. Judges will review individual gardens on their own or with another team member. We are looking for people who love to garden and want to contribute to their community.
Judging Criteria Video
Executive Committee Members
- Ann Cochren - Committee Chair
- Pat Gowan
- Brenda Accadia
- Yasmeen Minocher
- John Kolibash
- Guy McPhee
- Theresa Phair - Staff Liaison
Committee Volunteer Member Recruitment
We’re looking for New Committee Members. There are new and exciting committee positions, roles and responsibilities.
If you are interested in applying to be a committee member, email your resume or letter of interest, with your name and contact information to [email protected].
The Hamilton Trillium Awards Executive Committee is responsible for the execution and successful operations of the Trillium Awards Program. With the support of the Community Liaison Coordinator, the committee members carry out the goals and objectives of the committee.
The role the volunteer committee plays is important to the success of the Trillium Awards Program. The success of the committee depends on the contributions made by each of its members. All volunteer members are encouraged to play an active role in the Trillium Awards Program by following guidelines and procedures, attending committee meetings, and offering thoughts and recommendations to improve the program. The volunteer committee has the authority to decide and act as a group, but not as individual members.
The Committee reports directly to the Community Liaison Coordinator who offers assistance to the operation of the program and is responsible for volunteer management. The Community Liaison Coordinator liaises with City Staff to advance and contribute to the Trillium Awards Program while maintaining open lines of communication. The Community Liaison Coordinator is responsible for the budget and facilitating adherence to any City policies and procedures that affect the Trillium Awards Program.
Committee Chair Description of Activities
The responsibilities of the Committee Chair include:
- Works collectively with the Community Liaison Coordinator to ensure the overall operation and success of the Hamilton Trillium Awards Program.
- Consults with Community Liaison Coordinator and other key members of the Trillium Awards Committee in planning the committee’s agendas and the framework of the committee’s responsibilities.
- Maintains the group’s focus, stimulating group thinking, encouraging and channelling discussions, weighing the value of the expressed ideas and suggestions, summarizing constructive suggestions and seeking out decisions.
- Defines expectations of the committee’s work; providing appropriate information, training and follow up.
- Contributes to the Trillium Awards Framework as a guideline to execute the Trillium Awards Program.
In conjunction with the Community Liaison Coordinator, acting as spokespersons for the Trillium Awards Program and dealing with community inquiries and concerns as they arise.
Vice Chair Description of Activities
The responsibilities of the Vice Chair include:
- Accessing the position as a training opportunity as part of the succession of office of the committee and assuming all duties and responsibilities of the Chair upon his/her absence(s).
- Assist with the recruiting and training of volunteer committee members as well as volunteer judges.
- Oversees the Community Trillium Awards and assignments.
- Helps to oversee other committee roles and assists in the Trillium Judges Training Materials.
Secretary Description of Activities
The responsibilities of the Secretary include:
- Maintaining records and information of the committee.
- Ensuring accurate minutes are kept, motions recorded, necessary reports are prepared, and that a record of the committee work is maintained.
- Communicating changes needed to any documents.
Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator Description of Activities
The responsibilities of the Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator include:
- Being responsible for the overall volunteer recruitment and retention plan.
- Assisting in the active recruitment of volunteer judges, training and preparation of volunteers.
- Maintaining an active list of all volunteers and prepares follow up and appreciation letters for volunteer judges.
- Works with the Community Liaison Coordinator in maintaining all data related to volunteers, including volunteer registration forms, waivers, data lists, etc.
- Liaising with outside groups i.e. Horticultural Societies to recruit volunteers.
Mapping Coordinator and Garden Assignments Description of Activities
The responsibilities of the Mapping Coordinator include:
- Assigns mapped gardens for the volunteer judges.
- Reviews, updates and prepares the judges’ packages.
- Support the development of surveys, reviews survey results and comments at the end of the year to make necessary changes/updates and recommendations.
Ward Coaches / Pink Judges Coordinator Description of Activities
The responsibilities of the Ward Coach / Pink Judge Coordinator include:
- Recruiting, training and preparing the Ward Coaches / Pink Trillium Judges.
- Acts as a “coach” and responding to Ward Coaches questions and concerns.
- Support Ward Coaches with deliveries of White winning Awards, reviewing and scoring top 20 White winning gardens to determine Pink Award winners.
- Support Ward Coaches with deliveries Pink Award to winner.
- Administer, support and receive Public Notification / Photo Permission Forms for Winning Pink Gardens.
- Assuming responsibilities for any follow-up needed for maintaining deadlines to ensure the successful completion of the Pink Trillium Awards.
In House Photographer and Promotions Description of Activities
The responsibilities of the in-house photographer include:
- Administer Photo permission forms, email completed forms with photos for filing.
- Take photographs of all the winning Pink gardens and Red garden.
- Take photos of committee members and volunteers in action.
- Take photos of Red winning presentation.
- Take photos at Celebration Event.
- Encourage team Promotion of the Trillium Awards via social networking such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and free print media (newspaper, pamphlets, flyers, magazines, etc.)
Community Trillium Awards Coordinator
The responsibilities of the Community Trillium Award Coordinator include:
- Ensuring there are at least 2 viable nominations for each ward.
- Recruitment of volunteers for judging and awarding winners.
- Liaison with City staff and Chair of the Committee.
- Review nomination data and assign wards.
- Deliver Community Trillium Awards.
- Provide final list of winners.