Healthcare in Hamilton
Hospitals & Healthcare Providers
Hamilton is a regional centre for health care and professional training. Hamilton’s hospitals offer advanced treatments and employ some of the most talented medical professionals in Canada. Hamilton is fortunate to have many great health care services and facilities.
Ontario Health Insurance Plan
The Ontario Health Insurance Plan, called OHIP, is a publicly-funded healthcare system. It covers the cost of many basic health services for residents of Ontario.
Ontario residents are eligible for coverage. Generally, you must :
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or among one of the newcomer to Canada groups who are eligible for OHIP as set out in Ontario’s Health Insurance Act ; and
- be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and
- be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province; and
- make your primary place of residence in Ontario.
OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario.
- For more information about eligibility requirements, visit Am I eligible for Ontario health insurance coverage?
Apply for OHIP Coverage
To apply for OHIP coverage you must go in person to a ServiceOntario centre.
- Complete the Registration for Ontario Health Coverage Form
- Submit it with the necessary original documents, photocopies are not accepted:
- Proof of Citizenship or OHIP-Eligible Immigration Status
- Proof of Residency in Ontario
- Support of Identity
View the Ontario Health Insurance Coverage Document List for acceptable ID documents when applying for Ontario health coverage.