Carshare in Hamilton
Carshare gives users the convenience of driving without the hassles of auto ownership, maintenance and insurance! Carshare memberships are ideal for people who want access to a motor vehicle occasionally or for those who want to reduce the number of cars they own.
Two-Way Carshare Operators in Hamilton
There are two carshare operators in Hamilton which offer two-way carsharing at several locations in Hamilton. Users are required to pick up and return the vehicle at a reserved, off-street parking spot.
Communauto operates over 3,700 vehicles across four provinces (QC, ON, NS, AB), and is Canada’s largest and oldest carsharing provider. In Ontario, service is available in Hamilton, Toronto, Waterloo Region, Guelph, London, Ottawa, and Kingston. Vehicles are available to members 24/7 through the Communauto app. Members can access vehicles throughout Ontario and Quebec with their Ontario membership.
How it works:
- Register online. Your member number and registration confirmation will be sent by email.
- Download the Communauto app to reserve a car. You can also reserve online or by phone. Book by the hour, day, or even weeks.
- Pick up your car at its reserved parking station. Unlock your car using the Communauto app.
- Make your trip. Make sure to return the vehicle to its station where you it picked up by the end of your reserved time. When you’re done, use the Communauto app to end your trip and lock the doors.
Zipcar gives members on demand access to a variety of cars in cities, campuses and airports, by the hour or day.
How it works:
- Apply online to get your ZipCard to unlock thousands of cars, trucks and vans across the globe.
- Book a Zipcar for a couple hours or the whole day.
- Walk to the car and hold your Zipcard to the windshield to unlock the doors.
- When your time is almost up, return the car to the same reserved parking spot.
Carshare Friendly Parking
Using carshare downtown is now even more convenient. Residents can now end trips at these 12 locations when using a one-way carshare vehicle. Round-trip carshare users can also enjoy free parking at one of the City of Hamilton’s 12 new designated spaces.
- Vine Street (2 spots)
South side from Park to MacNab Street
- Rebecca Street (2 spots)
South side from Hughson to John Street
- Main Street (2 spots)
North side from John to Catherine Street
- Jackson Street (2 spots)
South side from MacNab to James Street
- George Street (2 spots)
North side from Hess Street to Caroline Street
- King Street (2 spots)
South side from Bay Street to Summer Lane
Free-floating carshare is designed for one-way, spontaneous trips. There are no reservations and unlike station-based vehicles, you can end trips within any of the designated on-street locations. The permanent free-floating carshare permit program was approved by council in September 2022, view the staff report.
Communauto is currently the only operator of free-floating car share in Hamilton. Communauto members have access to both the two-way and free floating services offered by Communauto. Find out more about Communauto.