Bulk Items and Furniture
The City of Hamilton picks up furniture and other bulk items every week that are too big to fit into a garbage bag or can. You can submit a request below for bulk item pick up, or items can be taken to a Community Recycling Centre. There is a cost to get rid of things that cannot be donated or recycled.
Common Bulk Items
- Bathtubs (fibreglass or plastic)
- Bed frames (cut into 4 ft lengths, no metal)
- Carpeting (rolled and tied)
- Furniture (up to 200 lbs)
- Hot tubs (cut into pieces under 4ft x 2ft with sharp edges covered)
- Mattresses and box springs (wrapped and sealed in plastic)
- Mirrors and glass tables (sealed in cardboard)
- Pool liners (rolled and tied)
- Pool / ping pong tables (taken apart, no slate)
- Toilets (tanks removed)
- Water coolers
For more info on how to dispose of these items, please use the search tool below.
Request Online Pick up
NEW! Online bulk pick up request form for bulk items and furniture
The self service bulk pick up form is now available.The program is limited to single family homes with 5 units or less that place their waste curbside on collection day. At this time, town homes are not eligible to use the online bulk pick up service.
The self service form follows the same rules as our call in service with respect to what you can and cannot place at the curb for bulk collection. Please see the tips below to ensure you know what items are acceptable vs unacceptable to place at the curb for bulk collection.
A maximum of four items will be picked up per booking
Make sure each item does not weigh more than 90 kg (200 lb) and is not longer than 1.2 m (4 ft).
Extra garbage bags require a trash tag and are not collected as bulk garbage.
Collection for online bulk pickup requests will take place on your collection day in two weeks.
Or call 905-546-2489 at least one week before you want your bulk garbage picked up. Pick ups are scheduled on the same day as your regular waste collection day.
Tips for bulk items and furniture pick up
- Once you have scheduled a bulk pick up, your items need to be at the curb by 7 am on your pick up day.
- A maximum of four items will be collected each time you schedule a bulk pick up.
- All mattresses and all box springs must be wrapped and sealed in plastic wrap or bags with no exception. Unwrapped/unsealed items will not be collected.
- Any bulk items with evidence of bed bugs and/or biohazardous materials (i.e. bodily fluids), must be wrapped and sealed in plastic wrap or bags. Unwrapped/unsealed items will not be collected.
- Use industrial shrink wrap, mattress bags, plastic furniture covers or plastic painting tarps to contain items. Wraps can be purchased from paint and retail stores.
- Cracks and openings in the plastic wrap must be sealed with tape to create a fully protective barrier for collectors.
- Notify the City if you are aware or there is evidence of bed bugs or bio-hazardous materials on your bulk items scheduled for pick-up, call 905-546-2489.
- When disposing of Car Seats, cut the straps/buckles and remove the padding before placing it at the curb.
- A two-person crew must be able to lift what you put out for pick up. Each item must not weigh more than 90 kg (or 200 lbs).
- Bathtubs must be broken into pieces weighing no more than 23 kg (50 lbs each); remove cast iron legs as metal is not an acceptable item for bulk pick up.
- Batteries must be taken out before putting items at the curb.
- Sofa beds and recliners must be tied so they do not unfold.
- Wood (non-pressure-treated) cannot be longer than 1.2 m (4 ft). It must be bundled and tied. Pressure treated wood and rail ties will not be collected.
- Carpet must be rolled, bundled and tied. The maximum length is 1.2 m (4 ft).
Bulk items and furniture can be used again
- Give furniture and other big items in good condition to a friend or relative who could put them to good use
- Donate items to an organization that accepts used goods
- Bring it to the Reuse Store at the Hamilton Mountain Community Recycling Centre
- Recycle your Electronics
- Sell on buy-and-sell websites such as eBay, Kijiji, or Facebook Marketplace