The Community Clean Trailer and the Clean and Green Trailer provide volunteers with the tools they need to beautify our city parks, alleyways, trails and neighbourhoods. Each year, thousands of volunteers collect litter, remove graffiti, and weed flower and shrub beds, plant and mulch trees in an effort to keep our parks and our community clean and green.
Great parks make great neighbourhoods!
The concept of a group of individuals coming together to become the caretakers of their park is what defines an Adopt-a-Park group. Adopt-a-Park groups consist of volunteers from businesses, service groups, schools and neighbourhood associations. These groups help to maintain their park by undertaking litter clean-ups, planting and weeding gardens, and reporting vandalism and graffiti. Some groups who have their Food Handler Certification will hold community barbecues and events in their parks to encourage community engagement. Working with City staff, these volunteers help to improve park amenities and create clean and safe parks.
Volunteer commitment to local neighbourhoods is crucial in keeping our green spaces clean, safe and beautiful. A beautiful and vibrant neighbourhood park or green space attracts users and volunteers, increasing pride in the surrounding area.
Participating Adopt-a-Park groups receive an Adopt-a-Park sign with the group’s name or logo; in recognition of the group’s efforts.
Benefits of well-kept parks and public green spaces include:
- Boost to urban economy
- Natural beauty and neighbourhood gathering places
- Provides positive impression; appeals and attracts residents and visitors
- “Green infrastructure” that improves our local environment
- Prevents flooding and improves quality of water
- Cleaner air from trees; releasing oxygen and absorbing pollutants
- Natural habitat for animals and birds
- Play space for children
- Promotes physical activity and better health for all
Being part of an Adopt-a-Park program provides volunteers with an opportunity to:
- Keep your local park clean and green
- Work together with neighbours, community members and colleagues to foster community building
- Meet new people
- Be a good neighbour
- In recognition of your group’s hard work, we will install an Adopt-a-Park sign recognizing your efforts to help keep Hamilton clean and green