Selling Tobacco & E-Cigarettes in Hamilton
You must have a Business License to sell tobacco and electronic cigarettes/vapour products in the City of Hamilton. You must also have either a Tobacco Retail Dealer's Permit or Vendor's Permit under the Retail Sales Tax Act to sell or deliver tobacco to a consumer.
Tobacco & Vapour Product Sales
The Smoke-Free Ontario Act sets out these regulations:
- Makes it against the law to buy, sell or give a person under 19 any tobacco or vapour products
- Does not allow stores to have tobacco or vapour products or branded tobacco product accessories where the public can see them
- Requires signs in the locations affected by this law
- Makes it illegal to sell favoured tobacco and vapour products including flavoured cigarillos at retail (with limited exemptions for specialty stores).
- Makes it illegal to sell vapour products with concentrations above 20 mg/ml at retail (exemption for registered Specialty Vape Stores)
- Allows an exemption for flavoured cigars that contain a flavouring or aroma of wine, port, whiskey or rum and flavoured pipe tobacco.
Signs for Age Warning & Government I.D.
Signs must be posted in all places that sell tobacco and/or electronic cigarettes. You can get free signs by:
- Picking them up at Public Health Services, 110 King Street West, 2nd Floor, Hamilton
- Calling the Tobacco Hotline 905-540-5566 or emailing [email protected]
- Use the Smoke-Free Ontario Act Guide for employee training purposes
Tobacco Enforcement Officers inspect all places that sell tobacco and/or vapour products. They also investigate complaints about these places. A ticket and fine are given to people or places that do not follow the law. Fines start at $400. Tobacco Enforcement Officers may seize tobacco products that are prohibited for sale under the Smoke-Free Ontario Act.
Request an Inspection for New Store
If you have questions about the law or you want to request an inspection for your new store: