Primary Care Paramedic Recruitment
Fast-track Paramedic Recruitment is Open
Review the information below about application process, job details and requirements and the steps in the fast-track recruitment process.
Paramedics are on the front-line of our health care system. They provide emergency treatment of a patient's medical condition or traumatic injuries and provide medical transportation to health care facilities.
The Hamilton Paramedic Service offers an exciting, rewarding, and challenging career providing front-line emergency services in a diverse, fast-paced, and ever-changing environment. Learn more about what Hamilton has to offer by visiting www.investinhamilton.ca & Tourismhamilton.com/top20.
Paramedics bring a lot of skills and abilities to helping our community. Some of their day-to-day duties include, but are not limited to, providing:
- Emergency medical care for ill or injured persons
- Leadership during an emergency
- Advanced pre-hospital life support, focusing on cardiovascular and respiratory systems
- Transportation for ill or injured persons, to, from and between treatment facilities
- Patient assessment and treatment according to Provincial and local standards and protocols
- Medical interventions as deemed essential by the Base Hospital, a training facility under the Centre for Paramedic Education and Research with Hamilton Health Sciences, and the Hamilton Paramedic Service including controlled drug therapy, manual defibrillation and cardiac dysrhythmia interpretation according to Provincial Medical Directives
- Interaction with members of the health care team, allied emergency care providers, the public and patients in a professional manner
- Interaction with Central Ambulance Communication Centres (CACCs) to ensure the CACC is advised of their status/location at all times
- Collaboration with medical staff and allied emergency care providers to facilitate timely treatment
- Support for a patient’s family and friends during the time of emergency care
- Participation in primary care, public health, public education, and community events as assigned
- Routine checks of vehicles and vehicle equipment to make sure they are clean, sanitary, mechanically safe and ready to respond, in accordance with local and provincial standards
- Reports of any vehicle deficiencies and assisting to correct them where qualified
- Stocking and maintaining ambulance stations in a clean and orderly state
- Written reports as required. This includes, but is not limited to, ambulance call reports, incident/occurrence reports, vehicle checklists, and any other report as deemed necessary by Hamilton Emergency Services and/or Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
- Attendance in continuing education as required
- Attendance at training and precepting of, advanced care and primary care college paramedic students
- Proof of maintaining all legislated requirements for employment and all certification requirements as set by the Base Hospital and the Hamilton Paramedic Service
- Other duties as assigned which are directly related to the major responsibilities of the job.
You will be required to be successful/pass each phase of the process in order to be placed on the Eligibility List to be hired as a Part-Time Primary Care Paramedic. Once on the Eligibility List, as vacancies arise, you will be considered for employment pursuant to your standing on the list.
Hamilton is composed of a mix of urban, suburban, and rural communities. Our paramedics practice in a high-volume, high-acuity, and fast-paced environment, which is well-suited for facilitating clinical education opportunities.
The City of Hamilton is a strong advocate for paramedic education. In keeping with this notion, Hamilton Paramedic Service maintains a dedicated clinical education program and is pleased to offer college preceptorship for both Primary and Advanced Care Paramedics.
Students who are interested in completing preceptorship with Hamilton Paramedic Service should have their college coordinator contact us directly.
The City of Hamilton only accepts applications during specified recruitment campaign dates. These dates will be posted on the City of Hamilton job posting site as they become available.
Visit Applying for a Job to learn how to apply for a job with the City online. Once you register or log-in please ensure that “My Profile” is updated to include current:
- Phone number
- E-mail address
Communication will be primarily via e-mail. All forms of communication will be sent to you based on your profile information. When you register please ensure that you record your “User Name” and “Password”.
If you do not fully complete the questionnaire or do not attach your resume, your application will be disqualified. Review your answers to the mandatory online questionnaire carefully before submitting your application.
2023 Fast Track Recruitment
Hamilton Paramedic Service has an evergreen Fast Track recruitment process for eligible candidates (closing December 31, 2023). Candidates eligible for the Fast Track recruitment process must be currently employed for a minimum of 1 year as a Primary Care Paramedic, or higher, and hold active certification to practice at the Primary Care Paramedic level, or higher, with an Ontario Regional Base Hospital Program. If applicable, candidates must also be eligible for cross-certification with the Centre for Paramedic Education and Research (CPER).