Building Permits for Small Businesses
Your one-stop access - submit, review, pay a portion of fees & seek approval online of your building project.
Looking to access property records within the Building Division?
Ontario Building Code Pre-Consultation
Your designer can request a pre-consultation meeting with city staff to review specific Ontario Building Code requirements. There is a pre-consultation meeting fee.
Visit us at City Hall or call 905-546-2720 or
Email [email protected]
Applying for a building permit is a vital step before you begin any construction project. You will need a building permit if you make any changes to the structure of your building such as demolishing, altering the interior, or changing or expanding the use of a building.
When do you Need a Building Permit?
Examples of projects that require a building permit:
- Adding a patio (temporary use by-law for tents)
- Adding or modifying a ramp or deck
- Removing, adding or modifying interior walls
- Installing a commercial cooking exhaust system
- Installing or modifying the sprinkler system
- Reconstructing or modifying the storefront window
- Installing exit signs and an emergency lighting system
- Installing or modifying plumbing
- Constructing a washroom or barrier-free washroom
- Installing a grease interceptor or backﬂow preventer
- Installing a commercial sign
- Installing a full height protective shield to the underside of the ceiling
- Changing use and occupancy of a building from one business use to a different business use (i.e. from office to restaurant)
Examples of projects that DO NOT REQUIRE a building permit:
- Painting, ﬂoor tiling or carpeting
- Installation of minor millwork and cabinetry
- Rerooﬁng with the same materials as the existing roof
- Replacement of existing plumbing and electrical ﬁxtures