If your vehicle is damaged by a pothole or other road maintenance issue:
- report the pothole or road hazard
- see a licensed motor vehicle mechanic
- do not drive your vehicle if it is not working properly.
Your vehicle insurance policy may provide coverage for this type of loss. Call your insurance company or broker for more information.
The City investigates and fixes road hazards. Claims made to the City for property damage are examined individually.
Submit a Property Damage Claim
You must describe:
- your name, address and phone number
- date and time of occurrence
- how it happened
- what was damaged
- names of contractors, equipment, operators where possible
How to Submit
You must submit a claim in writing to:
City of Hamilton
Risk Management Services
71 Main Street West, Suite 1101
Hamilton, Ontario L8P 4Y5
When Risk Management Services receives your claim, they start an investigation. You will receive a written reply in the mail to let you know they received your claim. A decision on your claim is made when all of the information has been reviewed.