You need a Temporary Road Closure Permit when occupancy of a full roadway or one full direction of traffic on a roadway is blocked for more than three to five minutes.
Apply for a temporary road closure permit
Complete the Temporary Road Closure Application
A minimum of 2 weeks notice is required to process a Temporary Road Closure Application.
Please note that Temporary Road Closures are not encouraged. Every other option should be exhausted before submitting an application to close a road.
** If you are requesting a road closure due to Development-related water/sewer connections, please contact your inspector in Development Construction as they stickhandle this road closure process.
Upon Approval (via a Delegated Authority Letter signed by the Chief Road Official), the following conditional items will be required prior to closure:
- Certificate of Insurance (minimum 2 million liability naming the City of Hamilton as an additional insured, or 5 million if fireworks or alcohol are part of your event)
- Neighbourhood Notice (to be delivered to all property owners affected by the closure, a minimum of one week prior to your event)
- Traffic Control Plan (to be created by, setup and taken down by an OTM Book 7 qualified Traffic Control Company) . Please contact us if you require a list of known Traffic Control Companies.
- Permit Fee (Fee subject to change annually)
- 2023 Permit fee for Construction is $1,607.65 (no GST).
- 2023 Permit fee for Filming & Events is $747.95 (no GST).