Did you know?
Tanning bed operators can be fined up to $25,000 if any employee sells, offers or advertises tanning bed services to youth under age 18.
If you have questions about the law or you want to report a salon for selling tanning bed services to youth under age 18 call 905-546-2489
Protect yourself and your family from the sun and harmful UV rays
- Check the weather forecast for the daily UV Index every day to plan outdoor activities.
- When the UV index is 3 or higher:
- Limit time in the direct sun between 11 am and 3 pm when the sun’s UV rays are the strongest.
- Find shade from trees, umbrellas or buildings.
- Wear hats with wide brims that cover your ears, face and back of the neck.
- Wear loose-fitting, light weight clothing that covers your arms and legs.
- Wear close fitting / wraparound sunglasses with UV 400 or 100% UV protection. Anytime of the day all year round.
- Wear sunglasses that cover the entire eye.
- Use sunscreen labeled “broad spectrum” and “water-resistant” with a Sun Protective Factor (SPF) of 30 or higher on everybody older than six months of age.
- Always keep babies out of direct sunlight or in the shade such as under a tree, umbrella or canopy.
- Drink lots of water.
- Do not use tanning beds or deliberately try to get a suntan, and avoid getting sunburn.