Discovery Centre Site Strategy Development
During the Summer and Fall of 2022, a Community Survey as part of the Opportunity Study was conducted.
Over 1,400 responses were received and have been compiled in the Community Survey Results Summary.
The City of Hamilton has begun work to develop a strategy for the Hamilton Waterfront Trust Centre (former Canadian Marine Discovery Centre museum) property and adjacent lands.
The strategy for these lands will:
- Define a vision for the site; and
- Define set of actions to implement the vision.
Although these lands are situated in a strategic location within the West Harbour, the former museum building is underutilized. This is the result of several factors including the closure of the museum and subsequent change in property ownership from federal to municipal government, and constraints of applicable zoning by-law regulations in attracting new uses. The changed property ownership and planning context, property use constraints, along with the passage of time since the policy and zoning regulations were originally established, provides an opportunity to re-examine options for the use of the subject lands. Council has directed staff to commence the process to develop a long term strategy for the subject lands.
What Lands are Part of the Study Area?
The site is generally located on the western portion of Pier 8 consisting of the Hamilton Waterfront Trust Centre (former Canadian Discovery Centre Museum) and adjacent lands, known municipally as 47 and 57 Discovery Drive.
Specifically, the study subject lands are comprised of:
- the Hamilton Waterfront Trust Centre (former Canadian Marine Discovery Centre building);
- outdoor patio area located to the north of the building;
- landscaped area located to the east of the building;
- parking area located to the south of the building (mapping has not been updated to reflect recent changes to the parking lot configuration);
- outdoor rink and surrounding park area; and
- existing restaurant (Williams Café).
Note: Lands excluded from the Study area are the park promenade lands and lands subject to the City’s development agreement with Waterfront Shores which are generally located to the east of the Subject Lands.
Join our Mailing List
Sign up for email updates about the Hamilton's West Harbour redevelopment projects