The design for Pier 8 Promenade Park was selected through a limited design competition process that took place from April to September 2017. Six prominent design teams created unique park designs for Pier 8 Promenade Park and presented their proposals to the public.
The design teams that participated in the design competition were:
- Forrec Ltd. with CIMA+; exp Services Inc.; Creative Irrigation Solutions Inc. (CIS); Andrew Davies Public Art Consulting; and Altus.
- gh3 with Lightemotion; Applied Wayfinding; Moses Structural Engineers; Moon Matz; Fabian Papa Partners; Brad Golden & Co.; Creative Irrigation Solutions Inc. (CIS); and BTY.
- Hargreaves Associates with Invizij Architects; MTE Consultants; Smart Watering Systems; Suzanne Powadiuk Design; Public Art Management (PAM); and A.W. Hooker Quantity Surveyors.
- Janet Rosenberg & Studio with Teeple Architects; Ombrages-Eclairage Public; Dew; exp Services Inc.; Art Strategies Inc.; Smart Watering Systems; and Turner & Townsend.
- PFS Studio with OMC Landscape Architecture; Bortolotto; public art consultant Ciara McKeown; Ombrages-Eclairage Public; SLA; exp Services Inc.; Creative Irrigation Solutions Inc. (CIS); and Hanscomb.
- The MBTW Group with PWL Partnership; RAW Design; AMEC Foster Wheeler; Kirkland Engineering Ltd.; Blackwell Structural Engineers; Brad Golden & Co.; Beaches Irrigation; and A.W. Hooker Quantity Surveyors.
On April 20, a public meeting was held to discuss the proposed vision, design objectives and program elements for Pier 8 Promenade Park. The park vision, objectives and program elements that park designers were required to consider in their designs are included in the discussion summary.
From August 24 until September 10, the six design proposals were on display in person and online. The public was invited to review the six design proposals and provide feedback. 276 people provided their comments.
The members of the jury are:
- Linda Irvine, OALA, FCSLA, ASLA, Manager, Parks and Open Space Development, Town of Markham, Ontario
- Nadia Amoroso, BLA, MUD, PhD, ASLA, Director, Nadia Amoroso Studio and Professor, University of Guelph
- Kelly Gilbride, OAA, P. Eng., CAHP, LEED AP, Partner, Stevens Burgess Architects Ltd. (SBA)
- James Parakh, OAA, Urban Design Manager - Toronto & East York, City of Toronto
- Erik Hess, OALA
- Mario Patitucci, OALA, CSLA, Principal, Adesso Design Inc.
- Shelley Falconer, President and C.E.O. Art Gallery of Hamilton
A volunteer jury of local experts in landscape architecture and urban design was assembled to select the winning design. The jury members met on September 13, 2017 to discuss the six design proposals and determine which of design proposals should be constructed on Pier 8. The winning design was chosen based on based on the design’s excellence, innovation, successful response to the vision and goals for the park, and community opinions.
The jury’s response to each park design proposal is summarized in the jury report(PDF, 136.99 KB)