City officially opens Copps Pier Park at Pier 8
HAMILTON, ON – The City officially opened Copps Pier Park at the Pier 8 promenade today at its Grand Opening event alongside members of the Copps family, City Council, City staff and members of the public.
Copps Pier Park is named in honour of the Copps Family and their decades-long commitment to improving the water quality and enabling additional public access to Hamilton’s waterfront. As part of the opening, the new Copps Pier Park sign, inspired by the City’s pride in its steeltown heritage and constructed from the same material, was unveiled.
The Park, located along the north and east edges of Pier 8, has created over 1.4-hecatres of new park space and is comprised of a 30-meter wide accessible walkway, multiple art installations, a playground, beach and board game areas as well as a performance stage. The Park provides full public access to the water’s edge with non-obstructed views and its trail remains part of the existing waterfront trail, connecting the HMCS Haida to Princess Point.
- Construction of Copps Pier Park began in 2020 and was completed in spring 2022.
- Total cost of Copps Pier Park design and construction: $6.5 Million
- In 2017, FORREC Ltd. Pier 8 “Hammer City” concept was the winner of the international design competition initiated by the City of Hamilton in partnership with the Patrick J. McNally Charitable Foundation.
- FORREC Ltd. designed Copps Pier Park with three distinct zones for year-round, accessible use:
- Boatworks Promenade references the partial hulls of three tanker ships to enclose a sandy beach, play area and games terrace.
- Hammer Harbour uses an industrial gantry frame to form a waterfront stage with terraces and seating for large community events, celebrations and markets.
- The Landing provides additional space for public art, performance and ceremony.
- In August 2018, Council approved to name the new waterfront park “Copps Pier”, to honour the Copps family and their commitment to the waterfront.
Today’s grand opening and official naming of Copps Pier Park is a fitting tribute to the Copps family who have done so much for the people of Hamilton. This is a wonderful new public space on our historic waterfront that will be enjoyed for generations to come.Mayor Fred Eisenberger
Design excellence touches all aspects of city design and the new Copps Pier Park is a perfect example of our City celebrating and implementing design excellence through a competitive design process. Congratulations to our design partners, FORREC Ltd., for bringing their winning Pier 8 design to life by creating a fully accessible, multi-use space that has something for everyone to enjoy.Jason Thorne, General Manager, Planning and Economic Development Department