Planning Policies & Guidelines
Site Plan Guidelines
The City of Hamilton's Site Plan Guidelines are intended to provide guidance to development projects that are subject to site plan approval. These guidelines convey the City’s preferences and expectations for site and building development. There is flexibility in the use of these guidelines and the City recognizes the need to co-operatively achieve both municipal objectives and private development requirements.
The City wishes to ensure that new development is accessible, safe and functional and that it integrates with existing natural features and surrounding built form.
The purpose of this document is to:
- Indicate the City’s design preferences and expectations for site development through a series of design guidelines.
- Provide information to ensure that all aspects of a proposed development are considered in the site design process and provide guidance for the site planning process.
- Ensure that all new development complies with the Zoning By-law regulations.
- Assist designers, developers and builders as well as public agencies with the development process and ensure all development supports Hamilton’s desire to create an attractive, liveable and functional community.
- Outline various technical standards that the City requires all construction to meet.
Appendix 1: Submissions Requirements for Site Plan Control Appendix 2: Letter of Credit Policy Appendix 3: Downtown Hamilton Development Permit Area Appendix 4: Site Plan Contact Information Appendix 5: Site Plan Control Process Flow Chart Appendix 6: Conservation Authority Jurisdiction Boundaries Appendix 7: Woodland Conservation By-law No. R00-054 Appendix 8: Tree Preservation Details Appendix 9: Notice of Intent to Cut, Burn or Destroy Tree Application Appendix 10: Barrier Free Signage Appendix 11: Urban Braille System Appendix 12: Barrier-Free Guidelines Appendix 13: Visibility Triangle Requirements Appendix 14: Recommended Planting Applications Appendix 15: Preferred Street Tree Species Appendix 16: Tree Policies Appendix 17: Planting and Paving Details Appendix 18: Fencing Details Appendix 19: By-law No. 20-221,To Provide for and Regulate a Waste Management S… Appendix 20: Waste Requirements for Design of New Developments and Collection Appendix 21: Landscape and Grading Plan Submission Requirements Appendix 22: By-law No. 19-286 for Prohibiting and Regulating the Alteration of… Appendix 23: Ministry of the Environment, Noise Assessment Criteria in Land Use…
November 17, 2022