A voluntary technical panel that will provide expert and impartial design advice and guidance to Planning staff on urban design matters of development within Design Priority Areas.
A site plan approval is a required process that you must follow for most developments including major building renovations or additions.
The purpose of a site plan approval is to review site design features and coordinate the following:
- High quality building design
- Impact of the proposal on surrounding land uses
- Placement of buildings
- Overall site design
- Pedestrian movement and barrier-free design
- Grading, drainage and storm water management
- Parking, loading layout, vehicular access and maneuvering
Site plan approval ensures City of Hamilton design requirements are met concerning site layout, street widening, parking, drainage and landscaping improving the quality and appearance of the development.
When to get Final Site Plan Approval?
The entire city of Hamilton is designated as a site plan control area. You will need final site plan approval before applying for a building permit for major building renovations, additions or for new construction related to these land use types:
- Multiple residential
- Agricultural greenhouses
Apply for Site Plan Approval
The site plan control process usually takes four to six weeks from the time you submit your application to the time you receive conditional site plan approval. The amount of time required to get final site plan approval will vary depending on whether there are any major design issues to resolve and on how quickly you satisfy all pre-building permit conditions.
Before submitting a Site Plan control Application, a Formal Consultation is required.
The purpose of a Formal Consultation is to review the proposal, identify key issues, and to confirm required information and submission materials for a complete Site Plan Control Application.
Design Review Panel
The Design Review Panel is generally limited to complex Zoning By-law Amendments and Site Plan applications in the following Design Priority Areas:
- Downtown Hamilton Secondary Plan Area
- Areas of Major Change and Corridors of Gradual Change within Setting Sail Secondary Plan Area
- Any other large scale project that has the potential to significantly impact the physical environment functionally and aesthetically.
Applications subject to the DRP will be identified at the Formal Consultation stage including any additional submission requirements.
Are you eligible for fee exemptions? Are you applying for New Non-Profit Affordable Housing?
Minor Site Plan
A Minor Site Plan Control application is for new development and/or revisions to existing development under 100 square metres. If during the site plan review stage it is determined that the proposed development requires changes to the approved grading plan or may have off-site impacts, then the application will be “bumped-up” to a full application and the additional fee will be required.
Application Fee(s) are required to be submitted with the application.
Fees can be paid by cheque or credit card. Cheques must be made payable to the City of Hamilton.
|Agricultural uses - 1/2 of Applicable Fee (DAR)||$4,380|
|Full Application - Clearing of Conditions||$16,930|
|Amendment to an Approved Site Plan||$5,800|
|Agricultural Uses - 1/2 of Applicable Fee4 (SPAR)||$2,900|
|Amendment to Approved Site Plan - Clearing of Conditions||$11,520|
|Agricultural Uses - 1/2 of Applicable Fee4 (MDAR)||$5,140|
|Minor Application - Clearing of Conditions||$8,810|
|Site Plan Formal Consultation||$11,700|
|Resubmission (on the 3rd occasion and thereafter)||$1,450|
|Site Plan Approval Extension - 3 months||$740|
|Site Plan Approval Extension - 6 months||$790|
|Site Plan Approval Extension - 9 months||$1,185|
|Site Plan Approval Extension - 1 year||$1,815|
|Plus per unit Residential charge for first 10 units for Vertical Developments including Institutional||$1,005|
|Plus per unit Residential charge for additional units (11 to 50 units to a max of 50) for Vertical Developments including Institutional||$605|
|Plus per square metre charge for new gross floor area for non-residential developments, prior to the Issuance of final site plan approval to a maximum of 5,000 m2 for industrial and 50,000 m2 for commercial approval||$10|
|Plus per unit Residential charge for first 10 units for Ground Related Developments including Institutional Uses||$1,005|
|Plus per unit Residential charge for the next 40 units for Ground Related Developments including Institutional Uses||$605|
|Plus per square metre charge for new gross floor area for non-residential developments prior to the Issuance of final site plan approval to a maximum of 5,000m2 for industrial and 50,000 m2 for commercial||$10|
|New Non-Profit Affordable Housing (subject to eligibility as outlined on application form)||fees waived|
|Extension of a Lapsed Site Plan||$1,460|
|Site Plan Inspections||$3,475|
- Ground Related Development is defined as singles, semi-detached, duplex/triplex, block/street townhouses including POTL's, stacked townhouses, maisonettes (back-to-back) units and non residential ground related development (ICI).
- For the purpose of Tariff of Fees, a unit is defined as any habitable room enclosed by four walls, regardless of any Ontario Building Code definitions.
- The per unit and per square metre charges are applicable to each phase of the proposed development.
- Vertical Development is capped at $39,390.00 for the purpose of calculating Tariff of Fees.
Conservation Authority Plan Review Fee
The Conservation Authorities within the City of Hamilton charge fees for their review of Planning Act applications. Once you submit your application, City staff will advise you if your application requires Conservation Authority review, and if so, which Conservation Authority your project falls within:
- Conservation Halton Review Fees
- Hamilton Conservation Authority Review Fees
- Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority Review Fees
- Grand River Conservation Authority Review Fees
The fee is to be made payable to the appropriate Conservation Authority and you will have to pay the fee to the City upon request. We will forward the fee along with the application to the Conservation Authority. Combined applications will only be charged at the highest rate. The Conservation Authority reserves the right to request additional fees should the review require a substantially greater level of effort.
All applications are required to be submitted in electronic format (PDF) via the CitySHARE link or on a USB stick.
To initiate a digital application submission, email [email protected] to obtain a CitySHARE link to upload the completed application form, supporting information and materials. To complete the digital submission process, email [email protected] with subject line “NEW SUBMISSION – [Insert File Type] – [Insert Address]” to confirm that the upload to CitySHARE is complete.
Alternatively, the application can be mailed or delivered in person to:
City of Hamilton
71 Main Street West, 5th Floor
Hamilton, Ontario, L8P 4Y5
Attention: Planning Division
Application Fees can be paid by cheque or credit card to The City of Hamilton. If the Application Fee is being paid by cheque, please note that a photocopy of the cheque is to accompany the electronic submission.
These submission requirements will be further refined in January 2023.
The complete submission should include:
- Cover Letter outlining the scope and details of the proposed development including any related Planning Applications (e.g. Official Plan Amendment, Zoning By-Law Amendment, etc.). Include a list of documents provided / included in the submission.
- Application Form with all applicable sections completed, including the Owner Authorization, Acknowledgements and Affidavit signed in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths.
- Formal Consultation Document signed by Owner / Applicant and valid, or Formal Consultation Waiver.
- Application Fee(s) are required to be submitted with the application. All fees are subject to change annually. If applicable, Conservation Authority and Hamilton International Airport fees are required to be included.
- All of the Required Materials and Information as identified through the Formal Consultation process.
Electronic files are to be provided with the following naming conventions: FileName_VersionNumber_Date (with no spaces).
- 02_Site Plan_v1_yyyy_mm_dd