Tree Protection Guidelines
Changes to the Planning Act were recently made by the Province through Bill 13 and Bill 109. Phase 1 - Interim Draft Terms of References/Guidelines were approved by the Planning Committee on November 29, 2022. The interim draft guidelines will provide clarity for development applications as to City requirements and will be subject to additional public and stakeholder consultation with Phase 2 terms of references in Q2 2023 before finalization.
The City of Hamilton's Tree Protection Guidelines provide guidance, advice and direction for landowners and developers on how to inventory trees on a proposed development site and prepare a Tree Protection Plan.
These guidelines apply to privately-owned lands subject to Planning Act approvals such as:
- Draft plans of subdivision or condominium
- Site plan approvals
- Part lot control
- Consent applications
- Niagara Escarpment Plan Permit
The purpose of this document is to:
- Enhance tree preservation on development sites, to ensure a healthy, sustainable urban forest and a green, liveable city
- Ensure preservation of existing valuable trees in new development sites
- Encourage consideration of existing natural features into the site design