Placemaking Grant Pilot Program
The City of Hamilton, with financial support from the Patrick J. McNally Charitable Foundation, is pleased to announce the Placemaking Grant Pilot Program for 2020-2022. Funding will support community-led projects that propose new ways of interacting with public spaces. Projects are to be place-based and may be playful and fun or address more serious issues. Applicants are encouraged to reimagine every day public spaces and propose temporary projects that are creative and experimental.
What is Placemaking?
Placemaking is a hands-on approach for making a meaningful change or impact in a neighbourhood, city or region. Placemaking inspires people to collectively reimagine and reinvent public spaces. Placemaking interacts with the unique geography, culture, and heritage of a space and is a way for residents to feel ownership of public space and use it in a way that is specific to community need.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, safety must be the first priority when planning and implementing any placemaking project. Please consult current safety regulations before starting your project and be ready to adjust as needed if regulations change. For general information, visit www.hamilton.ca/coronavirus.
- COVID-19 Hamilton’s workplaces and public spaces
- Reopening Ontario Act
- Review Event Planning Information for resources and information including guidelines for hosting events during COVID 19, process for organizing events on City property and COVID 19 Safety Plan for events.
- Public Health asks that each organization prepare a Safety Plan for COVID-19
- Staff will work with applicants to ensure that any project that receives funding can meet COVID-19 regulations and that projects have the flexibility to change and adapt to this situation as it evolves.
Placemaking Grant Pilot Program application closed December 10, 2021. We are no longer accepting applications.
Resources for Grant Applicants
- Watch the information video for grant applicants
- Read the Placemaking Toolkit (PDF, 160 KB)
- Read the Placemaking Equity Guidance Checklist developed by Jay Pitter Placemaking for the Healthy Communities Initiative
Join a virtual Question and Answers session. To register email [email protected]:
- Wednesday October 6 from 3 pm to 4 pm via zoom
- Wednesday November 10 from 7 pm to 8 pm via zoom
Groups are strongly encouraged to contact staff and discuss their project details before submitting an application. Please contact [email protected] or call 905-546-2424 ext. 7505 to arrange a meeting or with any questions.
Grant Funding Process
Projects Awarded Funding
Funding decisions are expected to be announced by the end of March 2022. Successful applicants can expect to receive written confirmation from the City of Hamilton via email.
Applicants awarded funding should expect to meet virtually with City staff after the funding announcement to confirm technical requirements. Once both sides are sure that the project can go ahead as described in the application or reasonably amended, a funding agreement will be created. The funding agreement, agreeable to both parties, will identify a payment schedule, project milestones, insurance requirements, potential COVID-19 impacts, any approvals required for the project, acknowledgment of funds, etc.
Placemaking Grant Pilot Program 2021 Update