Healthy Eating & Nutrition
Children and youth who eat nutritious foods are better learners and more likely to be successful in school. Eating well also supports healthy growth and encourages healthy eating habits for life. Schools have an important role to teach students about healthy eating and reinforce those lessons throughout the school food environment.
healthy eating and nutrition
- Take a positive and inclusive approach to teaching about food and eating. Learn more about this food exploration approach at Teach Food First
- Use Canadian resources such as Canada’s Food Guide for healthy eating classroom lessons
- Review Tips for Educators to Teach Nutrition in a Positive Way on BrightBites
- Access the Water at School Toolkit to promote water as the beverage of choice at school.
- Visit Connect Ontario or call 811 and speak to a Registered Dietitian to answer student questions about food and nutrition
- Use the Paint Your Plate! Vegetable and Fruit Action Guide to teach about vegetables and fruits with curriculum-based lesson plans for grades 1 to 8.
- Teach about food and food systems using AgScape classroom programs and resources for grades 3-12
- Review Nurturing Healthy Eaters in Elementary Schools and/or Nurturing Healthy Eaters in Secondary Schools to understand how the school community can support students become healthy eaters
- Create a school policy where achievement and success are recognized with non-food rewards using ideas from BrightBites It’s An Honour
- Find creative ways for classroom celebrations!
- Look for ways to provide students with hands on lessons with food – check out these ideas from Growing Chefs Ontario
- Visit FoodLand Ontario to find ideas and recipes to help students plan a school-wide event to learn about and taste local food
- Encourage students to drink more water using tips in the Water at School Toolkit and experiment with flavoured water
- Make the school cafeteria a safe and pleasant eating space using ideas from Fresh It Up on BrightBites.
- Help everyone enjoy eating at school with these tips for a relaxed and positive experience.
- Use the Water at School Toolkit to ensure that students and staff have easy access to clean, fresh water to drink during the school day, and at all school events and celebrations. Order reusable water bottles
- Start a Student Nutrition Program by connecting with Hamilton Tastebuds.
- Start or continue a school milk program.
- Use Seeds to Success, Hamilton’s School Garden Toolkit to start a school garden.
- Fundraise with local food – Register at Fresh from the Farm
- Get support for your student nutrition program from the Hamilton Tastebuds: Student Nutrition Collaborative.
- Fundraise with refillable water bottles through the Hamilton Water Education Program
- Start an after school cooking club using A Recipe for Successful Cooking Workshops
Contact a Public Health Dietitian or Public Health Nurse by emailing [email protected] for help and advice on healthy eating in schools.
Ressources Du Service De Santé Publique En Français
Certains renseignements et certaines ressources du Service de santé publique présentés sur cette page Web pourraient être disponibles en français. Communiquez avec l’infirmière affectée à votre école ou envoyez au courriel à [email protected] pour en savoir plus long sur les ressources et les services offerts en français.