The following Needle Exchange Site offer needle syringe, harm reduction supplies and safe disposal in Hamilton.
|Alcohol, Drugs and Gambling Services
21 Hunter Street East, 3rd Floor
Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3W8
|905-546-3606||Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Wednesday until 7 pm|
|Hamilton Overdose Prevention Site
71 Rebecca Street
|905-522-3233||Monday, 6 to 11 pm
Tuesday, 8 to 11 pm
Wednesday, 6 to 11 pm
Thursday, 8 to 11 pm
Friday, 6 to 11 pm
Saturday, 6 to 11pm
Sunday, 6 to 11 pm
|Hamilton Urban Core
Community Health Centre
71 Rebecca Street
|905-522-3233||Monday 9 am to 5 pm
Tuesday & Thursday 9 am to 8 pm Wednesday 12:30 to 5 pm
|Sexual Health Clinics at Public Health||905-528-5894||Varies; check clinics|
|Street Health Clinic at
Wesley Urban Ministries
195 Ferguson Avenue North, 2nd Floor
|905-777-7852||Monday, 9 am to 1 pm
Tuesday, 9 am to 12 noon
Wednesday, 9 am to 1 pm
Thursday, 9 am to 12 noon
Friday, 9 am to 1 pm
|The AIDS Network
140 King Street East, Lower Level
|905-528-0854||Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm|
Request safe disposal of needles
For needles found in public locations or on private property in Hamilton, where you found the needle determines the next steps. If you found the needle on:
Including sidewalks, streets, boulevards, parks, trails or facilities.
- If you are a member of the community and you find a syringe on public property, contact the City of Hamilton, Customer Contact Centre, 905-546-2489 and report it.
Including residential homes, apartments, commercial buildings and parking lots.
- Property owners are responsible for removing needle waste found on their property. For instructions on how to dispose of a found needle read Disposing needles safely.
Adults can safely dispose of a found needle with the equipment listed and by following the steps below or downloading the Safe Disposal of Needles Instructions (PDF, 203 KB).
- Tongs and/or wear gloves - use punture proof needle resistant gloves, to prevent potential needle stick injuries.
- Sturdy container with lid - such as an empty pop or household cleaner bottle.
- Use tongs and/or put on gloves
- Bring a puncture-proof, sealable container to the area the needle was found
- Pick up the needle by the middle of the plastic tube with the sharp end facing down.
- Place the needle in the container sharp end first and close the container tightly.
- Remove gloves and wash your hands and equipment with soap and water.
- Bring the container to:
- Needle Exchange Site or;
- Hamilton Community Recycling Centre (CRC) - Centres are closed Sundays
Note: Hamilton Community Recycling Centres will only accept needles and syringes that are in plastic or metal containers with a lid such as an empty detergent bottle or metal coffee can. Label the outside of the container “syringes”. Needles and syringes in glass containers will not be accepted.
Never flush or dispose of needles in curbside garbage or Blue Box containers.
Need Help? Contact the City of Hamilton at 905-546-2489
- Date modified: