The following places offer needle syringe, harm reduction supplies and safe disposal in Hamilton:
|Alcohol, Drugs and Gambling Services
21 Hunter Street East, 3rd Floor
Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3W8
|905-546-3606||Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Wednesday until 7 pm|
|Hamilton Overdose Prevention Site
71 Rebecca Street
|905-522-3233||Monday, 6 to 11 pm
Tuesday, 8 to 11 pm
Wednesday, 6 to 11 pm
Thursday, 8 to 11 pm
Friday, 6 to 11 pm
Saturday, 6 to 11pm
Sunday, 6 to 11 pm
|Hamilton Urban Core
Community Health Centre
71 Rebecca Street
|905-522-3233||Monday 9 am to 5 pm
Tuesday & Thursday 9 am to 8 pm Wednesday 12:30 to 5 pm
|Sexual Health Clinics at Public Health||905-528-5894||Varies; check clinics|
|Street Health Clinic at
Wesley Urban Ministries
195 Ferguson Avenue North, 2nd Floor
|905-777-7852||Monday, 9 am to 1 pm
Tuesday, 9 am to 12 noon
Wednesday, 9 am to 1 pm
Thursday, 9 am to 12 noon
Friday, 9 am to 1 pm
|The AIDS Network
140 King Street East, Lower Level
|905-528-0854||Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm|
Request safe disposal of needles
For needles found in public locations or on private property in Hamilton:
Where you found the needle determines the next steps
Public property (including sidewalks, streets, boulevards, parks, trails or facilities)
- If you are a member of the community and you find a syringe on public property, contact the City of Hamilton, Customer Contact Centre, 905-546-2489 and report it.
Private property (including residential, apartments, commercial buildings and parking lots)
- Individuals are responsible for disposal of sharps found on their residential property.
- Property management of an apartment building/commercial building is responsible for disposing of discarded sharps found the property.
Need Help? If you do not know who owns the property, or need help removing it from your property please contact City of Hamilton, Customer Contact Centre, 905-546-2489 to report it and for further assistance .
Adults can safely dispose of a found needle by following the steps below:
Equipment - Tongs and/or wear gloves (latex, vinyl) and a Sturdy container with lid (e.g., empty pop or bleach bottle)
- Use tongs or put on gloves to protect yourself from fluid contamination (wash with soap and water after use).
- Bring a puncture-proof, sealable container to the site of the needle and place on a flat surface.
- Pick up the needle by the middle of the plastic tube with the sharp end facing down.
- Place the needle in the container sharp end first and close the container tightly.
- Remove gloves and wash your hands with soap and water.
- Bring the container to:
- Needle Exchange Site listed above
- Call City of Hamilton, Customer Contact Centre, 905-546-2489
- Hamilton Community Recycling Centres (CRC) - Closed Sundays
Mountain Community Recycling Centre - Upper Ottawa St. and Kilbride Road
Dundas Community Recycling Centre Olympic Drive north of King St. E
Kenora Community Recycling Centre - 460 Kenora Ave.
Note: CRC Household Hazardous Waste Depot will only accept needles and syringes that are in plastic or metal containers with a lid such as an empty detergent bottle or metal coffee can. Write “syringes” on the outside of the container. Needles and syringes in glass containers will not be accepted.
Never flush or dispose of needles in curbside garbage or Blue Box containers
- Date modified: