The City of Hamilton picks up furniture and other bulk items every week that are too big to fit into a garbage bag or can. Find out what qualifies as a bulk item.
NEW! Online bulk pick up request form for bulk items and furniture
The self service bulk pick up form is now available.The program is limited to single family homes with 5 units or less that place their waste curbside on collection day. At this time, town homes are not eligible to use the online bulk pick up service.
The self service form follows the same rules as our call in service with respect to what you can and cannot place at the curb for bulk collection. Please see the tips below to ensure you know what items are acceptable vs unacceptable to place at the curb for bulk collection.
- A maximum of four items will be picked up per booking
- Make sure each item does not weigh more than 90 kg (200 lb) and is not longer than 1.2 m (4 ft).
Collection for online bulk pickup requests ill take place on your collection day in two weeks.
Or call 905-546-2489 at least one week before you want your bulk garbage picked up. Pick ups are scheduled on the same day as your regular waste collection day.
Tips for bulk items and furniture pick up
- Once you have scheduled a bulk pick up, your items need to be at the curb by 7 am on your pick up day.
- A maximum of four items will be collected each time you schedule a bulk pick up.
- A two-person crew must be able to lift what you put out for pick up. Each item must not weigh more than 90 kg (or 200 lbs).
- Bathtubs must be broken into pieces weighing no more than 23 kg (50 lbs each); remove cast iron legs as metal is not an acceptable item for bulk pick up.
- Batteries must be taken out before putting items at the curb.
- Sofa beds and recliners must be tied so they do not unfold.
- Wood (non-pressure-treated) cannot be longer than 1.2 m (4 ft). It must be bundled and tied. Pressure treated wood and rail ties will not be collected.
- Carpet must be rolled, bundled and tied. The maximum length is 1.2 m (4 ft).
- Items with visible signs of bedbugs must be wrapped and sealed in plastic or they will not be collected.
- When disposing of Car Seats, cut the straps/buckles and remove the padding before placing it at the curb.
Bulk items and furniture can be used again
- Give furniture and other big items in good condition to a friend or relative who could put them to good use
- Donate items to an organization that accepts used goods
- Sell on buy-and-sell websites such as eBay, Kijiji, or Facebook Marketplace
Other options to get rid of furniture and other big things
Bulk items and furniture can be taken to a Community Recycling Centre. There is a cost to get rid of things that cannot be donated or recycled.
- Date modified: