Update: Two down-bound lanes open for Claremont Access. Sherman Access is reduced to one lane.
The City of Hamilton picks up furniture and other bulk items every week that are too big to fit into a garbage bag or can. You have to call to book a pick up for these items.
How to book a pick up for bulk items and furniture
- Call 905-546-2489 at least one week before you want your bulk garbage picked up. Pick ups are scheduled for the same day as your regular waste collection day.
- A maximum of four items will be picked up each time you call in.
- Make sure each item does not weigh more than 90 kg (200 lb) and is not longer than 1.2 m (4 ft).
Tips for bulk items and furniture pick up
- Once you have scheduled a bulk pick up, your items need to be at the curb by 7 am on your pick up day.
- A maximum of four items will be collected each time you schedule a bulk pick up.
- A two-person crew must be able to lift what you put out for pick up. Each item must not weigh more than 90 kg (or 200 lbs).
- Cast iron bathtubs must be broken into pieces weighing less than 23 kg (50 lbs each).
- Batteries must be taken out before putting items at the curb.
- Sofa beds and recliners must be tied so they do not unfold.
- Wood (non-pressure-treated) cannot be longer than 1.2 m (4 ft). It must be bundled and tied. Pressure treated wood and rail ties will not be collected.
- Carpet must be rolled, bundled and tied. The maximum length is 1.2 m (4 ft).
- Items with visible signs of bedbugs must be wrapped and sealed in plastic or they will not be collected.
Bulk items and furniture can be used again.
- REgift 'em: Give furniture and other big items in good condition to a friend or relative who could put them to good use
- REuse 'em: Donate items to an organization that accepts used goods
- REdistribute 'em: post on buy-and-sell websites such as eBay, Kijiji, or CraigsList
Other options to get rid of furniture and other big things
Bulk items and furniture can be taken to a Community Recycling Centre. There is a cost to get rid of things that cannot be donated or recycled.
- Date modified: