The City of Hamilton picks up furniture and other bulk items every week that are too big to fit into a garbage bag or can. You have to call to book a pick up for these items. Find out what qualifies as a bulk item.
How to book a pick up for bulk items and furniture
- Call 905-546-2489 at least one week before you want your bulk garbage picked up. Pick ups are scheduled for the same day as your regular waste collection day.
- A maximum of four items will be picked up each time you call in.
- Make sure each item does not weigh more than 90 kg (200 lb) and is not longer than 1.2 m (4 ft).
Tips for bulk items and furniture pick up
- Once you have scheduled a bulk pick up, your items need to be at the curb by 7 am on your pick up day.
- A maximum of four items will be collected each time you schedule a bulk pick up.
- A two-person crew must be able to lift what you put out for pick up. Each item must not weigh more than 90 kg (or 200 lbs).
- Bathtubs must be broken into pieces weighing no more than 23 kg (50 lbs each); remove cast iron legs as metal is not an acceptable item for bulk pick up.
- Batteries must be taken out before putting items at the curb.
- Sofa beds and recliners must be tied so they do not unfold.
- Wood (non-pressure-treated) cannot be longer than 1.2 m (4 ft). It must be bundled and tied. Pressure treated wood and rail ties will not be collected.
- Carpet must be rolled, bundled and tied. The maximum length is 1.2 m (4 ft).
- Items with visible signs of bedbugs must be wrapped and sealed in plastic or they will not be collected.
- When disposing of Car Seats, cut the straps/buckles and remove the padding before placing it at the curb.
Bulk items and furniture can be used again
- REgift 'em: Give furniture and other big items in good condition to a friend or relative who could put them to good use
- REuse 'em: Donate items to an organization that accepts used goods
- REdistribute 'em: post on buy-and-sell websites such as eBay, Kijiji, or CraigsList
Other options to get rid of furniture and other big things
Bulk items and furniture can be taken to a Community Recycling Centre. There is a cost to get rid of things that cannot be donated or recycled.
- Date modified: