Apply for Ontario Works
Gather information & documentation
You will need information from a number of documents to complete an application. It's a good idea to get this information together before you start such as your family’s identification and tax documents.
Ontario Works program is to help people in temporary financial need find sustainable employment and achieve self-reliance through the provision of effective, integrated employment services and financial assistance.
Types of assistance
Employment services play a critical role in helping individuals prepare for, connect with, and remain in the labour market. Ontario Works employment assistance helps people to become and stay employed, and includes employment activities such as:
- job search support services
- employment information session
- community participation (i.e., activities that allow people to contribute to the community and improve their employability)
- employment placement and job retention services
- supports for self-employment development
- referral to basic education
- Learning, Earning and Parenting (LEAP) program
- literacy and job-specific skills training
- screening for substance abuse and referral to assessment and treatment if necessary (sites participating in this activity must be approved by the Director of Ontario Works)
Basic financial assistance
Basic financial assistance includes:
- income assistance provided for the purposes of basic needs and shelter
- benefits as prescribed in the regulations
- emergency assistance provided to help with basic needs and shelter on an emergency basis
Service available 24 hours, 7 days a week, in English or French.
If you have an email and telephone number you can apply online using the new Social Assistance Digital Application (SADA).
Apply by phone
Call our office at 905-546-4800 and press option 3 or call toll free at 1-855-999-8729.
Service available Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 3:30 pm, in English or French.
In-person application verification
An in-office appointment is necessary to complete the application process. During the appointment, you will be expected to provide required information, complete and sign the application and all accompanying forms.
You will need to bring your spouse (if you have one) and any children who are 18 or older to the appointment and all supporting documents used to complete the application.
If you are not physically able to come to the in-office appointment, please advise us and we will make other arrangements with you.