What is the urban forest? The urban forest includes trees and woodlands in maintained parks, green spaces, natural areas and ravines, and on the escarpment, along streets, and in neighbourhoods, commercial, institutional, and industrial areas. It includes public and privately owned lands.
About the Hamilton Urban Forest Strategy
The Urban Forest Strategy (UFS) will be a plan to ensure the long-term health of Hamilton’s urban forest. The Urban Forest Strategy will provide recommendations that are based on community and staff input, data, and policy review. It will also provide the vision and strategic direction for long-term planning, protection and maintenance of trees and forests in the urban area.
The Urban Forest Strategy will include:
- A sample inventory of trees within the urban area to describe the condition of Hamilton’s urban forest
- A community-developed vision for the desired future state of the urban forest
- Background research on existing policies, by-laws, programs, partnerships, and activities within Hamilton
- Identifying challenges and opportunities for improving the urban forest
- Recommended actions including programs, policies, and partnerships
- Recommended monitoring and indicators to determine if the UFS is meeting its vision
Two draft reports are now available for your review and comment: the Urban Forest Strategy and the Technical Report. The City welcomes your comments on the draft reports.
Visit the Engage Hamilton project page to learn how you can provide your input and to register for the virtual public meeting.
Held June 5,19 and 24, 2019
Received feedback on the draft vision statement, goals and actions. Presentation (PDF, 1 MB)
City Staff Workshop and External Stakeholders Workshop
Held May 17, 2019
The afternoon session was an internal staff workshop to review the draft goals and actions. The evening session was for external stakeholders, to review the draft goals and actions.
Presentation (PDF, 3 MB)
City Staff Workshop
Held May 17, 2018
An internal staff working seminar.
City staff summary (PDF, 2 MB)
External Stakeholders Workshop
Held May 17, 2018
Provided context/objectives of the Hamilton Urban Forest Strategy and offered engagement activities.
Presentation (PDF, 2 MB) | Workshop summary (PDF, 1 MB)
Information and reports
- 2020 City Of Hamilton Urban Forest Strategy DRAFT Report (PDF, 6.7 MB)
- 2020 City Of Hamilton Urban Forest Strategy DRAFT Technical Report (PDF, 4.3 MB)
- Staff Report to Council on Urban Forest Strategy Work Plan (PD02229g) (PDF, 257 KB)
- Appendix A: Work Plan (PDF, 218 KB)
- Staff Report to Council on Draft Urban Forest Strategy (PDF, 6.5 MB)
- Appendix A: Urban Forest Strategy Draft Report (PDF, 21 MB)
- Appendix B: Summary of Actions (PDF, 101 KB)
Natural Heritage Planner
Planning and Economic Development Department
Development Planning, Heritage and Design
City Hall, 5th Floor
Phone: 905-546-2424 Ext.1231
Email: [email protected]
- Date modified: