Building & Renovating

Building & Renovating

COVID-19: FAQ for Development Approvals

As the COVID-19 situation in Hamilton continues to evolve, these Frequently Asked Questions for Development Approvals will be regularly updated as circumstances change to provide residents and developers with current information.

Service at a Glance

What requires a building permit?

You need a Building Permit if you intend to:

  • erect, install, extend, alter or repair a building
  • demolish all or part of a building
  • perform construction or alterations that result in a material change to a building or an accessory structure

View more information for:

Apply for your building permit online

 You can submit your permit application, pay a portion of the required fees and seek approval online of your building project.

Check the status of your building permit application

Find out if any property in Hamilton has a Building Permit or if an application is in review.

How do I schedule a building inspection?

Have a building permit and need an building inspection? Call us at 905-546-2424 ext. 7777

How much will a Building Permit cost?

Building Permit fees are determined by Hamilton’s Building Permit By-law.

Information about your property

View our interactive zoning mapping to determine the zoning designation of your property.

Apply for a zoning verification