When boarding the bus, do one of the following to pay your fare:
- Tap your PRESTO card on the PRESTO device.
- Show the driver your activated PRESTO E-Ticket.
- Put your cash fare or ticket directly into the farebox beside the driver. Coins go in the left slot and tickets and bills go in the right. If you’re paying with cash, you must have exact change.
- Show the driver your transfer.
HSR bus drivers do not handle money, tickets, passes or PRESTO cards. Learn more about paying with PRESTO
|CASH||FARE (as of Sept. 1, 2021)|
|ADULT||FARE (as of Sept. 1, 2021)|
|CHILD/YOUTH 6 to 19 years old||FARE (as of Sept. 1, 2021)|
|SENIOR PRESTO 65+ years||FARE (as of Sept. 1, 2021)|
|SENIOR PRESTO 80+ years||FARE (as of Sept. 1, 2021)|
|Golden Age Pass (Hamilton residents aged 80+ years)||FREE with PRESTO & ID|
*Weekly frequent rider discount:You will not be charged an additional fare after 11 PRESTO trips in the same week (Monday to Sunday). Available on PRESTO cards only, not available on PRESTO E-Tickets.
Child and Youth fares
To be eligible for a child or youth fare you must:
- Be 19 years of age or younger.
- Children five years of age and under can ride the bus for free and must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Children 12 and under do not need a photo ID card.
- Youth 13 to 19 need a photo ID card from the government or your school. You can also purchase a photo ID card for $5.25 + HST ($5.93) at the HSR Customer Service Centre.
If you have a Youth PRESTO card, you must carry your photo ID card with you, the driver may ask to see it. If you do not have it with you, you will be required to pay the full adult fare.
If you have a Children’s PRESTO card, change the card to a Youth PRESTO card when you turn 13. If you do not, you will be charged the adult fare. You can do this by presenting your PRESTO card along with valid ID sowing date of birth in-person at the HSR Customer Service Centre, or at any Shoppers Drug Mart or Fortinos locations in Hamilton.
Senior and Golden Age fares
Proof of age is required to purchase and use senior fares. If you are a young-looking senior, you can purchase a photo ID for $5.25 + HST ($5.93) at the HSR Customer Service Centre.
The PRESTO Senior Annual Pass is valid for 12 months starting in the month of purchase if purchased by the 13th day of the month. If you purchase the annual pass after the 13th day of the month, the pass will be valid for 12 months starting the next month.
Choose the option that is the best value:
- Pay the single ride fare each time if you plan to take less than 14 full-fare trips each month for 12 months. The maximum cost for 14 full-fare trips in a month is $29.40, which equals $352.80 over a 12-month period.
- Purchase a monthly pass if you plan to take more than 14 full-fare trips each month for less than 12 months of the year. The cost of 9 monthly passes is $319.50.
- Purchase an annual pass if you plan to take more than 14 full-fare trips each month for 12 consecutive months. The cost of an annual pass is $355.
Golden Age Pass
City of Hamilton residents 80 years of age or older can receive a Golden Age Pass for free. This includes one-time free PRESTO card (lost, stolen or damaged PRESTO cards will require a $6 replacement fee). You can pick up your PRESTO pass and photo ID card from the HSR Customer Service Centre. Proof of age is required, as well as proof of address in Hamilton. Acceptable ID would be a Driver’s Licence, Ontario Photo Card, Income Tax statement with name and address, Health Card that has address, etc. A photo ID will be issued to be used with your new PRESTO card.
If you are renewing your Senior Annual Pass and turn 80 years of age within the year, you should purchase a Senior Monthly Pass on PRESTO each month until you turn 80 years old. When you turn 80, you can get a Golden Age Pass for free. Golden Age Passes cannot be issued in advance of your 80th birthday.
McMaster, Mohawk and Redeemer student ID
- You must show your student card every time you get on the bus and tap your PRESTO card loaded with an HSR U-Pass.
- If you do not have your student card you must pay the full adult cash fare of $3.25.
- Seniors (age 65-79) do not require photo ID; however, they must show proof of age if the driver asks.
- Golden Age Seniors (age 80+) require photo ID that you receive when you purchase your Golden Age Pass at the HSR Customer Service Centre. You will need to provide proof of age and Hamilton residency. Golden Age Passes cannot be issued in advance of your 80th birthday.
New or replacement photo ID cards & photo passes
- You can get a new or replacement photo ID & photo pass card from the HSR Customer Service Centre.
- New photo IDs cost $5.25 + HST ($5.93) and replacement photo IDs cost $15.76 + HST ($17.80). Includes Support Person cards, Golden Age Photo ID, School Hour Only / PLUS passes, DARTS Senior Passes, EC Passes, Senior ID, HSR Student Photo ID, etc.
Support Person Photo ID
Support Person ID cards are for customers who, because of their disability, require regular or occasional help when travelling on HSR buses.
- The Support Person ID card allows you to have a support person take the HSR with you for free.
- The cost for replacement of a lost card is $15.76 + HST ($17.80).
- You need to update your information and get a new card every three years.
Complete the Support Person application form (PDF, 126 KB) which requires a Health Care Professional’s certification for Section C (Disability Information) and mail to:
Accessible Transportation Services
P.O. Box 340, 2200 Upper James Street
Mount Hope, Ontario L0R 1W0
A confirmation letter with details about how to get your Support Person ID card comes by mail when you are approved.
Payment options at customer service locations
In addition to cash, HSR accepts debit, MasterCard and Visa for all purchases over $5. There are no refunds permitted through direct debit. HSR does not offer cash back on debit purchases.
An HSR driver may take away any pass, ticket or identification card if they suspect fraudulent activity.
- Date modified: