City of Hamilton highlights 2022 Provincial Priorities
HAMILTON, ON – With the 2022 provincial election campaign officially underway, the City of Hamilton has released its list of priorities, outlined in the Our Plan, Our Priorities: Building a Brighter Future for Hamilton report. The goals are in line with the Term of Council priorities and are aimed at building a stronger and more inclusive Hamilton for all residents.
Our Plan, Our Priorities: Building a Brighter Future for Hamilton
Working collaboratively with its partners in a newly elected provincial government, as well as with the federal government, Hamilton hopes to move forward on these priorities:
1. Supportive Housing and Ensuring our Most Vulnerable Populations have Access to Health and Human Services
- Addressing the economic impact of COVID-19 on vulnerable populations by providing significant and sustainable supports for individuals experiencing homelessness.
2. Strong Economic Recovery and Prosperity Post-COVID-19
- Investment in critical social and physical infrastructure to support economic development and continued support for workers, businesses and the health-care system recovering from COVID-19.
3. Investing in Child Care and Early Years
- Adopting a National Child Care Plan at the local to provide families in Hamilton with access to affordable child care and support increased labour market participation, specifically for women, people of colour and individuals from equity-seeking communities.
4. Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation
- Disaster mitigation and adaption support for areas either impacted or at risk of being impacted by the effects of climate change.
5. Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Creating and nurturing a city that is welcoming and inclusive with a goal that equity-seeking communities will feel safe, supported and have an enhanced sense of belonging through strengthening community capacity and inclusive engagement opportunities.
6. Increased Infrastructure Funding
- Modernizing public transit in Hamilton and positioning our City to better support long-term growth and development will remain a core local priority requiring significant investments for years to come.
These priorities will be shared with all provincial candidates running for office in our community.
As a City, we are committed to fostering more resilient, vibrant and inclusive communities that encourage growth, equity, and greater opportunities for all residents. By working collaboratively with provincial partners and with the strong support from our local Members of Provincial Parliament, we can build a brighter future for Hamiltonians.Mayor Fred Eisenberger