Hamilton searching for Poet in Place: a first-of-its-kind program in Canada
HAMILTON, ON - The City of Hamilton is looking for Hamilton’s first Poet in Place, a poet or spoken word artist who will lead creative placemaking projects in Hamilton. The Poet in Place is an accessible and inclusive program that strives to create meaningful opportunities for Hamiltonians to engage with the poetic arts.
The Poet in Place program will recognize one local poet or spoken word artist who will:
- Enhance public spaces through poetry projects and programs
- Provide opportunities for public engagement with poetry and spoken word
- Increase the accessibility of the poetic arts in the city
Applications will be accepted starting September 25 until November 3, 2023 and will be reviewed by a selection committee. The successful candidate will be announced in early 2024 and will be awarded a $20,000 honorarium over their two-year term. Application details are available at hamilton.ca/PoetInPlace.
The Poet in Place will deliver a variety of programs, including performances of original works, placemaking and public art projects, and programs in collaboration with the Hamilton Public Library.
- Consultation with the local literary community guided the development of the Poet in Place program.
- Hamilton-based page poets and spoken word artists are invited to apply.
- Published poetry is not required to apply for the position; applicants with public performance experience will also be eligible.
"It’s no secret that Hamilton has a rich and diverse arts scene. Poet in Place is a made-in-Hamilton program that elevates local talent and makes the poetic arts accessible to more people, inspiring us to reimagine our collective identity and give voice to our stories."Mayor Andrea Horwath