The risk of West Nile virus in Hamilton is LOW
As of Nov 1, 2022, the Medical Officer of Health has set the risk of West Nile virus in Hamilton to Low. The low-risk level means that West Nile virus is currently not circulating in the mosquito population in Ontario.
Protect yourself from being bitten
- Avoid mosquito-infested areas including places with tall grass and bushes
- Use an insect repellent that contains DEET or Icaridin (formerly known as “picaridin”) for your family members that are older than six months of age
- Wear long-sleeved shirts, long pants, hats, socks and shoes; tuck your pants into sock
- Avoid cologne, perfume and scented body lotion when going outdoorswe
- Repair damaged doors and window screens so mosquitoes cannot get inside
- Avoid spending time outdoors at dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active
Reduce your risk of West Nile virus by removing stagnant water on your property.